FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anyone out there with health anxiety?

messy29
Community Member

I haven't sought help before this, but I am feeling so completely terrible that I thought it might be a good option. Long story short, I have had 5 deaths in the family in so many years and I suppose I am now very preoccupied with a fear of a terminal illness or death. Anxiety, which I have lived with for 6 years, is only starting to become 'unmanageable' now, after the death of my Nana one week ago. Has anyone else, with this kind of experience, had these kinds of episodes where you are just terrified of getting sick, or dying, or perhaps 'creating' symptoms? I keep getting these numb, tingly types of symptoms in my arms and hands, I am sure my anxiety is causing them (coupled with being a student and using a computer 10+ hours per day). Can anyone help? Need someone to talk to.

3 Replies 3

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear messy,

You must have been close to you Nana and the week since her passing would seem like a day.  Good on you for posting your concerns on health anxiety.

I think everyone has a bit of health anxiety.  From the family meal that someone pulls out with an important soccer match to attend to the wedding where the bride doesn't show.  For me, it's more noticeable when I book a medical appointment.   With bipolar I can be fine on booking but by the time the session comes up I am heading into mood land and can't commit to the actual appearance.  So I just annoy the surgery with a few bookings, cancellations and re-bookings.  But, hey, at least I communicate these non appearances.

So, your whole body can spasm with anxiety.   If you are unable to get to a medical situation then maybe you have to police the computer time.   I always thought having a trampoline would be good for study.   Some computer time coupled with unabashed jumping for 10 mins.    A real breaker.  And one way to get the arms and hands moving and to redistribute the blood.  Save your tingling for your brain.

Adios, David.

Poppy
Community Member

Hello Messy, I am very sorry that you have been through so much ,you poor darling. I too lost my grandma at the beginning of last year ,she was my favorite person and I miss her everyday but it does get easier! I spent weeks crying and lost my appetite but gradually I got better and my dad explained that my Granny would not want me to make myself sick but to keep living life as best as you can. Also I think everyone is abit scared of death because its so unknown ,but you cant focus on it because its inevitable and you can let it rule you. Hope you feel better soon! Poppy. 🙂 

Chris_B
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi messy29, it's not uncommon for anxiety to manifest in consuming fears about death, as opposed to the everyday fear that we all feel to some extent.

I have two friends who experience this: one is in his mid-20s, and he describes himself as terrified of it. He also is being treated for anxiety, and has had a close family member die of a terminal illness, so this probably hasn't helped.  The other is closer to 40 - we've been friends for about 20 years, and he often told me when he was a bit younger that he would wake up in the middle of the night panicking about death and unable to get back to sleep; his wife would just have to sit and try to talk him down.

Don't know whether you were just using it as a turn of phrase or whether you actually feel this way, but saying that you "make up" symptoms suggests that your anxiety isn't real, or that you should be able to cope with it.  The symptoms and the fear is very real, there are just different ways of dealing with them - going to see a therapist, or looking at medication options with your GP if you're having panic attacks.  

It's good that you've got the self-awareness to identify that things are starting to get a bit much for you to handle by yourself, so now is a good time to reach out for some extra help.  These symptoms you describe are part of anxiety for some people.

I'm sorry you've lost so many close family members in the last few years, I have lost a few myself and know the gap that it leaves in your life.  Take care.

best
CB