FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling in control and joyous before spiralling?

PilbaraMumma
Community Member
Hi everyone.

I've not posted on forums about this before but I was wondering if anyone had had a similar experience. I've been battling anxiety for a number of years but it has really amped up since I fell pregnant with bub number 2 and things, while improving, haven't quite been the same since. One this I have noticed is that I will have a sense of extreme happiness, joy and/or contentment and feeling in control about 12 hours before I have a meltdown. I will go from feeling on top of the world to a huge spiral out of control after a very small trigger such as an expression or comment or even just a thought I have myself. It's seems strange to me, almost like coming down from a natural high or something. Does this happen to anyone else?

4 Replies 4

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Absolutely I can relate to that "swing". I am bipolar amongst other issues. Although it mimics moods swings we cant diagnose here but at leadt such swing demand an assessment and diagnosis.

Since my diagnosis I've stabilised apart from the odd bad day so generally life improves a lot. It is really important to get the help you need starting with your GP.

My highs with bipolar2 are called hypomania and the meltdowns are depression. The triggers you mention are identical to what I experience even to this day but it is much less dramatic now.

I hope you get the help you need and there is reason to be optimistic. Your ftiends and family will be thankful for added stability whatever your diagnosis is.

Google

Beyondblue Topic depression and sensitivity, a connection?

TonyWK

Whatsinaname
Community Member
I go through the same thing pretty much every time I have a panic attack.

I'm not convinced it's a matter of being so high that I come down afterwards, I think it's just the most recent past before I was feeling so down.

It's very easy to miss the moment that passed when feeling horrible.

Thanks. I'll keep it in the back of my mind for my next appointment.

Dear PilbaraMumma

Welcome to the forum. There will be many here who can relate to you on this topic. Thank you for sharing your story.

I was having a similar set of reactions but these are related to a medication I take for a completely different problem. I take a steroid and it's well known for its ability to swing moods and most uncomfortable. I discussed this with doctor concerned and the amount was reduced. It's still taken a while to become accustomed to these swings and manage them, not always successfully. It helps to know where they come from.

Some of your moods may be related to being pregnant. I remember getting very energetic and running around cleaning the house a few days before the baby was born. Some sort of nest building process I suspect. Has your baby been born? If so I offer you many congratulations. Even after the birth our emotions can be all over the place. A second baby means much more work than the first birth as you have two little ones to care for and it can be exhausting. Plus all births are different and affect mom differently.

You mentioned another appointment. Does this mean you are receiving counselling or perhaps an appointment with your obstetrician. It could be worth while checking it out with either or both of them. It's always good to know where these things come from though that is not always evident.

It surprises me how something that seems so insignificant as a casual thought can produce fallout that is so disproportionate. A neighbour of mine called it baby brain and she felt it lasted for up to a year after the birth of her babies. I would hope not but it can take time to get ourselves into a more stable place. I dislike attributing runaway emotions to motherhood but I feel it can often be the case.

What do you think? Could the birth of baby, or the imminent birth, be at least part of the cause for this distressing set of mood swings? Getting an expert opinion would be a good place to start. Love to know what you think.

Mary