FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Don't know how to better myself

Mary_G
Community Member
Hi guys, my names Mary. Let me start of by giving you a little background about myself.

I'm a uni student 2nd year doing engineering. I have been suffering anxiety for 2 years but didn't want to admit I had anxiety. I struggled mostly last year where the cause of most of my anxiety came from. My daily life is consumed with panic attacks where studying is just basically impossible to do and going to uni can be really challenging. I start of my day everyday for the last 1 year and a half feeling anxious and tired. Anxiety made it difficult for me to sleep but most specially eat. Even though i know i've got it i never wanted to admit it to myself as I feel like anxiety are for weak people, well so i thought it was. For the last one year and a half , I became thinner and thinner almost unrecognisable by others. But even then the thought of me having anxiety just something i can't accept so I continued to blind myself with my foolishness. My anxiety is really bad to the point where I do irrational things. Now it has gotten to the point where I just feel like I need to help myself because no one else will. I don't want to fail in life and fail the people I love. I really want to better myself for my family and my boyfriend but most specially myself. I don't want to lose everything i worked so hard for. I don't want to ever feel like death is the only way out. I joined this in hoping I can save the little hope of change in me. I want to change not just me but my life.
2 Replies 2

Lost4eva
Community Member

Dear Mary,

Firstly - good on you for seeking help!! Coming to this website and typing your thoughts and feelings is an excellent first step towards managing your anxiety and moving forward to the life you want.

People suffering from anxiety are among the most courageous and strong people I have ever known.

This website has lots and lots of information that may be helpful for you. All Universities also offer counselling services which may also be of assistance. And further to this, remember that you can go to your general practitioner (GP) for assistance and referral.

Your GP can also assist you to obtain special consideration through the various University channels - if this is required.

Seeking help is key to resolving this problem Mary. If you are willing, there are plenty of options for support and you will be able to manage this condition.

My daughter suffered anxiety throughout year 11 and 12, and her symptoms were exactly as you have described. Once she decided to seek help, she started to be able to manage the condition and although it comes up now and again, she now has the tools to put it back in its box and to close the lid firmly!

There is hope Mary - and you've made an excellent first step. Please stay positive and seek assistance. Let us know how you go.

MiguelS
Community Member
Thanks for sharing your story, all I can say is you have to tackle it now, you're in the early stages..anxiety isn't something you want to get use to. You're not alone in this battle, there's help out there you just have to put yourself out there and share your struggles to those who love and care about you, luckily in this world, there are people out there who dedicate their lives to people in your situation. I would highly recommend seeing a psychologist.