FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

doctor not treating my diagnosis, please help?

NLY
Community Member
I am new to here so I am not exactly sure how this works but I am quite desperate.

Brief background, I was diagnosed with CPTSD and RAD when I was 12 and unfortunately was going to CYMHS appointments with the main cause of those problems until I was 14/15 when I moved out. I hadn't pursued treatment until 2014 after the main cause of my problems passed away. Since seeking treatment my doctors have all ignored what I have told them and labelled me with GAD. 

I am really struggling to cope, I was initially on one antidepressant and then put on a different one and then I moved and changed psychiatrist and she put me on an anti-psychotic. I find that it really helps me actually sleep (without it I didnt sleep or woke so many times in the night), however I am still going through horrific nightmares (I will have panic attacks when the effects of the medication hit because I am so afraid of my dreams), panic attacks, intense depression, anxiety and paranoia. I dont know how to get my doctors to actually acknowledge that I have CPTSD and RAD. I feel that I am not being adequately treated and my doctors treat me with the assumption I am a hypochondriac and overreacting. 

I guess what I am asking is if anyone knows how I can get them to take me seriously? I have tried to get my case files from CYMHS but there were technical issues and I will need to reapply for them. I am a uni student and I am simply not coping and waiting for my files to get released will take a while so the sooner I can get my doctors on board the better.

Any help is appreciated, thank you. 

❤️
2 Replies 2

Jacko777
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi NLY,

Welcome to the forums NLY, sorry to hear about this, I think you will find lots of support and advice here.

I think you should ring the Beyond Blue phone service to get a professional view of your situation, they will help you a lot right now.

Have you learnt some relaxation methods in the past that help you to cope? Perhaps some breathing exercises or meditation? I am sad to hear what you are going through and I hope you will make a call to BB. Lots of love to you.

Jacko

NLY
Community Member
Hi Jacko,

I know all about the meditating, mindfulness, grounding and breathing exercises. I did a CBT course in 2014 and practice the techniques daily- and they help for the smaller things, ones that i can see coming and am in the right frame of mind to rationalize and apply the strategies. But when the big episodes hit my mind TELLS me that my feelings are justifiable (e.g. "you ruin everything you care about so of course you should "remove" yourself", or in the case of panic attacks I cant stop the attack at all because I try to rationalize and yet i cant think properly so i get more confused and panicked).

I dont have phone credit and my phone wont let me make any calls other than 000.
Thank you for your advice, I will call them when I can.

Peace, love and happiness to you