FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Do I have anxiety?

tigerlibby
Community Member

I think I have anxiety but I'm not 100% sure can you guys please help me?

the symptoms I suffer from are:

hot flushes

blushing

scared of socializing

hate going to public places shopping centers/restaurants

sweating

clammy hands

heart rate goes up

freezing finger tips

shacking

worrying

swallow a lot

Other things you need to know is:

I have a huge phobia of public speaking such as speaking in front of the school which I avoid, speaking in front of the class eg speech I avoid reading in front of the class I avoid and even talking to someone in person. My blushing makes it a lot worse because I can feel it happening and everyone points it out because im in year 7 and it makes everything worse.

I barely put my hand up in glass but I only do it for some teachers such as my maths teacher and my pdhpe teacher but never volunteer to read.

BLUSHING!!!!!!

blushing is a big put down in my life, I think if I don't blush then I wouldn't be scared to public speak or even talk to my friends. When im talking to someone my brain automatically thinks "omg what if I blush, theyre gonna think im some kind of loser." That's when I start to blush, its very frustrating because everyone looks a you. Ive got some speeched coming up for school and sometimes at night I think about suicide, I mean nothing to the world im only another human destroying earth im not gonna be famous or talented so why should I deserve to live? I don't think ill ever commit suicide.

I was going so well with this blushing that I stopped blushing for about 2 weeks and when I got an award on stage I still had the symptoms all but blushing but the whole year seven was up there so I had nothing to worry about, but then I was shopping which I rarely ever do and my mum saw someone I know and she was my friends mum and we were talking and she goes your red what have you been doing, I was speechless the world stopped it felt like agers until I managed to spit out I got embarrassed easily. It turned my whole life upside down ever since ive been blushing and have gotten worse. I also never go shopping because im scared ill see someone there and then blush or think im stupid for wearing the wrong clothes. Its really hard I told some of my friends that I think I have anxiety and none of them understand like they make me do things like talking in front of the class and even things like going to the toilet by myself or going to the canteen ive never gone to the canteen by myself and this year only 2 ive gone to the toilet by myself which im quite proud of. Can you please tell me if you think ive got an anxiety disorder.

2 Replies 2

The_Real_David_Charles
Community Member

Dear tigerlibby,

Anxiety has many forms but you're right in the thick of it from what you've described.  Can you check out "social anxiety" ?  Even going to the toilet is kind of mixed in with "separation anxiety".     A GP can direct you for therapy.  At the moment there are 10  counselling times for Free if you fill in the Mental Health Plan with your GP.

I think you're post got missed for a while but you did well to write on BB.  School has many pressures so if you get a handle on your anxiety now it will help with Yr 12 and all the HSC stuff.     I don't think anyone really understands anxiety until it happens to them.   Your friends should just support you long term  After school there's a need for friendships.  School is really only a minor part of life.  Think Big.

Adios, David.

Teacher9
Community Member

Anxiety comes in many forms, and sometimes one thing can lead to another such as the blushing is now manifesting other phobias.

I know what you mean with blushing, you can feel it happening and it wont stop. I find by self talking and acknowledging it is happening can make it disappear faster e.g " ok i can feel myself burning up, deep breathe and concentrate on something else" the more you focus on knowing your going red, the redder you will get.

Excuse yourself from situations you feel uncomfortable in, let close friends know your situation so your not secretive. Even make a joke out of your blushing, acknowledge your blushing to other people and it will come and go quicker.

I have been in the situation where i was put on the spot about something and my face started burning. I knew it, but kept breathing and acted cool and said something like, geez this scarf is giving me hot flushes.( good for winter!) in summer use the heat as an excuse lol