FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

cant stop stressing

bowie66
Community Member
hi im new.i cant turn my brain off.having probs at work and have taken some sick leave after describing my sumptom to gp.any techniques to helpswitch off
2 Replies 2

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

bowie66,

Any techniques? Yes, more below.

By the way, welcome to beyond blue.

The best answer I can give is to suggest that you look at the following threads

• Grounding yourself, What is it and how do you? - Beyondblue
  • self help tips for managing anxiety - Beyondblue
  • Mindfulness: What Is It? (Even if you dont know please ... - Beyondblue

I have a link for the last one as well...

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/mindfulness-what-is-it-(even-if-you-dont-know-please-post-so-we-can-help-grow-the-forums-accordingly)

but you should be able to find it via a google search. Ultimately you want to be able to distract yourself from your thoughts, and bring yourself back to the present moment. The people here are all supportive and helpful, and listening to you. And if you need to reach out for professional help that is OK also! If you want to chat some more....

Tim

Jack_J
Community Member
As smallwolf said those techniques are all beneficial. Maybe even try to create a routine, so if trouble turning brain off when wanting to sleep; situate yourself away from technology, make sure you are feeling okay (as in not uneasy, feeling unsafe or distracted), try to do this at a exact time so that it is easier to follow. Once done try to calm using breathing exercises and see if able to get to sleep. Doing this for at least a week should get your body into the routine.
If sleeping not the issue try calming your body and mind, find something that relaxes you either a location, person or a thing and imagine it when you are feeling anxious or cant stop thinking.

Hope it helped 🙂