FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Broken Brain/ Memory Loss

SilverLight
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Does anyone else suffer short term memory loss? I just seem to magically forget things all the time... For example my mum told me to leave the gate open to help the laundry dry. The next time I hung laundry out (literally the same 24 hours) I told myself to leave the gate open as I went out and still forgot and closed it behind me on the way back in... I hate this so much..it gets me in so much trouble with employers and makes me look like an idiot... My mum recommended maybe looking for an app like Lumosity to train my brain but it's too expensive:( does anyone know of a cheaper/free one??

Thanks

4 Replies 4

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello SilverLight, and a warm welcome to you.

I also have a short memory problem so you're not alone there and I

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Sorry SilverLight I'm using a small pc while my other main laptop is replaced, plus I have big fingers and tend to press something that posts my reply.

I would think people who do take AD's or any other medication may have this problem, plus if you have had a head injury doesn't help, but having depression certainly makes it difficult to concentrate or focus on what has been said.

If you go to your doctor they can put you on a 'mental health plan'. this entitles you to 10 free sessions with a psychologist per year, then they will be able to help you with treatment.

Let us know how you get on.

Geoff.

Vero
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Silverlight, welcome to the forum.

i had serious memory loss. I used Luminosity and it is great fun. Had all the tests done and they picked up nothing. My neurologist suggested to up vit d to very high level. I am avoiding providing a dose as it was much higher than normally recommended and this should be approved by med prof. Within weeks I could see improvements. My memory is now much better than many people around me. You may like to discuss it with your GP. Good luck!

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Silverlight,

Welcome to the community here. My short term memory is not all that good some days either. Stress and depression make it worse.

I've not tried Luminosity, for some reason I thought that was for free. If you Google how to improve memory I am sure lots of options will come up.

You could try little things at home, like write down 10 random words on a sheet of paper. Read the words, turn the paper over and try to write down the 10 words.

Having a chat with your Dr. would be a good suggestion too.

I've been told that even colouring and do mazes is supposed to help with brain function. I have found some kids books with mazes in them in shops like Cheap as Chips for very reasonable prices.

The library may also be a good source of finding books about brain training. Ask the librarian if they can help you locate some suitable books.

All the best with re-training your brain! Have some fun while you are at it.

Cheers from Dools