FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

ASD, anxiety and feeling overwhelmed

Lu_109
Community Member

Hi there! Thanks for clicking on this thread.

So, this is my first thread on here. I figured I'd start with why I joined. I have anxiety, and have been diagnosed with that and ASD for yonks (literally when I was 6). With this whole COVID thing happening and Uni going online, I'm really struggling with how much there is to handle. I'm just feeling so overwhelmed and (I think partly because of the ASD) recognising triggers and boundaries (that I need to set) within myself is hard. There's so much that I need to be doing, and it feels like there isn't enough time in the day to do it all, and I stress when I don't get at least 7hrs sleep and do all this other stuff and, yeah.

It's just so difficult relying on other people like my mum or psychologist, because I don't even trust myself to know what's best for me, so how in the world am I meant to let other people do it.

I feel like I just want everything to pause, so I can regain my footing and get myself back on track. I'm a high achiever, so accepting anything less than my best is so difficult. I don't know how hard to push myself each day vs what's going to burn me out.

Each day, it feels like there's no point doing any work, because there's still going to be more tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. I also really struggle with a) making new friends and b) connecting with them online, cause I'm so awkward (the ASD). For about the last week, there's been a point on most days where I feel like breaking down and crying, which usually happens more like monthly to every few months. Most days this week, I'd rate my anxiety a 9/10 and its usually about a 5, on average.

I suppose I'm not really asking anyone to do anything, cause I don't know what you could do - heck, I don't even know if anyone's going to read this - but I'm maybe asking if anyone else's gone through this, how you coped? I just don't know what to do. Deferring doesn't feel like an option (I already took a whole year off last year) and I know I COULD push through this, I just really, really don't want to. It feels like I've been dealt a crappy hand and I'm so sick of it and life would be so much better if it was just a little bit easier.

Anyways, if you made it this far, thanks! Means a lot. And I hope you're going okay through the rollercoaster of a ride that so many of us are on right now.

4 Replies 4

Helen72
Community Member

Hi Lu,

I just finished studying so I'm lucky in that respect. I was going to look for work but that is on hold for the moment.

What are you studying? Maybe rather than deferring, you can reduce it a bit? Maybe go from fulltime to 75%?

Pardon my ignorance but what is ASD?

As for suggestions the usual, meditate, exercise... it'll help with the anxiety and the study.

Helen

Lu_109
Community Member

Hi Helen,

I'm in my first semester of Bachelor of Nursing, and all my study habits are very much up in the air right now. I did consider dropping a subject, but my subjects aren't offered in a summer semester, so it'd be quite difficult to configure, based on what info I've gathered.

So sorry! Should've said at the start, but it's short for autism spectrum disorder - a 'developmental disorder' that's characterised by atypical patterns of thought and behaviour, it especially impacts people socially.

Lu

Helen72
Community Member

Hi again Lu,

It sounds like the unis have shutdown anyway - you'll be one of many, many students whose studies are affected by this.

It might be helpful if you just concentrated on you for the moment - you've got 10 years to finish a degree (and that's in normal times).

Do you do anything that helps the anxiety?

Helen

Hi Lu

I really feel for you being at uni while all this is going on. It’s going to change things for so many people. I did 2 years of my uni as an external student so only went to the campus for exams. I know how hard it can be to motivate yourself to get it done sometimes. I’m a very bad procrastinator and always left everything till the last minute, really don’t know how I managed to get it all done!

Can I ask how many subjects you’re currently studying? Do your course outlines tell you how many hours of study you should dedicate each week? I think from memory for my course it was roughly 10-12 hours a week per unit recommended.

Could you set yourself up a study area that you only use for study? Just wondering if it would help your mind to associate it with studying and get in a better space for you. I’m not sure how your asd affects you but would you find having a proper schedule helpful? Instead of just thinking I need to do some work today have a set time, say a few hours in the morning and a few in the afternoon/evening where it’s the same time each day you do the work so your brain knows that’s study time and you also can look forward to the times outside of that being for everything else. Maybe think of it as going to uni.

Do you know anyone from your course or friends that are also studying that you could get in touch at a set time each week to discuss what’s working, what’s annoying about the situation etc. just as a vent?