FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxious

Rubykt
Community Member
I feel fake and numb but continue to live a daily life where my partner and family think im ok. I absolutely love my wife and my family but I still feel detached, going through the motions. I'm sure everyone feels like this but how do you get over it. Without being told to just get over it.
4 Replies 4

Itsnotreallyme
Community Member
I don’t think you should keep it all in you should tell the ones close to you how your feeling it may just help

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Rubykt, welcome to the forums.

We go through life believing that if we marry and have kids that everything will be OK, but we don't think about all the different circumstances we will have to face and whether these will change the situation for us and this may happen where you feel disconnected with your family but pretend to them that all's OK.

You can't get over this by yourself and if you try to then all the major problems will be pushed aside, you need help to find the trigger points which start it.

Being told to get over it won't help you at all, it pushes you into another corner where you may feel locked in, that's not what we want, we have been through this ourselves and certainly want to help you.

It may mean that you’re trying to find an answer but feel unable to talk about what it with your partner and these conditions can cause emotional numbness.

Problems like depression, anxiety as you have mentioned, or other disorders may jump on board making you feel numb, so perhaps if you can write down what is actually causing all of this, so when you see your doctor you can just hand it over to them, but please take a photocopy.

Can I also suggest doing the K-10 test (google it ) which is a test for depression, try and do it a few times at different stages of the day, when you are at home, day and then night, or when you're away from home, this is important because your mood will change throughout the day.

If you could get back to us that would be great.

Geoff.

LavenderTea
Community Member

Hey Rubykt,

Thanks for posting.

Things can become hard when you feel like you're just going through the motions of daily living and routines.

I'm curious as to whether you have any hobbies? Doing things you enjoy, breaking your week up, or having something to look forward to on the weekends can sometimes help lift our mood and give us something to be excited about. It might be a good idea for you to make a list of things that you used to enjoy, things that you enjoy now, and things that you might want to try, and integrate them into your week or weekends.

I'm also curious about the title of your post... anxiety... is this something you're experiencing? If so, it can be helpful to consider the situations that make you feel anxious, question why that's happening, and since generally it's related to negative thought processes, work on challenging those thoughts.

Hope this helps!

LT.

baet123
Community Member

Hello Rubykt,

Welcome to the forums. Thank you for sharing your situation with us. Really brave of you!!!

For me, letting others know how I felt and my emotions went a long way to improving my condition. I think that requires time though and it did for me. It took me a long time to build up the courage and actually want to tell others how I actually felt. I too went through the motions for the best part of 6-7 years so I can absolutely relate to what your going through.

Have you tried seeing any health professionals? If you feel up for it and are comfortable enough, visit your GP and speak to him about your options. He may refer you to a psychiatrist or provide you with a mental health care plan which will provide you with 10 free sessions to a psychologist if you choose and are comfortable going down that road. Ultimately, there are many health professionals and services available which you are able to utilise.

For years I kept things in and when I started to let it out it was such a relief. It sucks that you are feeling the way you to and I am so sorry.

Hope this helps!

All the best.

Baet123

I feel fake and numb but continue to live a daily life where my partner and family think im ok. I absolutely love my wife and my family but I still feel detached, going through the motions. I'm sure everyone feels like this but how do you get over it. Without being told to just get over it.