FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxious over quitting my job

LFC99
Community Member
Hi,

A few months ago I decided I wanted a career change so started studying online whilst working full time at my current job. I haven't enjoyed my job for some time now and I want to leave. I want to find a part-time job so I can focus on my study and pursue my new career, and my wife fully supports this decision.

I went through a tough time 3 years ago and never spoke to anyone about it until now, and the thoughts are coming back into my mind. I went to the doctors 2 weeks ago and he diagnosed me with severe depression. I am now on medication and will be going on to a mental health care plan and will be seeing a psychologist soon. The doctor also gave me 2 weeks off work to rest.

During these 2 weeks off work so far, I have not stopped thinking about my assessments and how much I don't want to go back to work. I constantly overthink things and my mind is going round in circles. I haven't progressed with my assessments and I haven't rested. I'm feeling worse. I feel so sick in my stomach about the decision I have to make.

My wife doesn't want me to go back to work. She has noticed a dramatic change in my health. I am seeing my doctor on Monday and I feel like I need another 2 more weeks off work to try and rest but I'm worried what my manager will say. My wife has offered to call my manager to hand in my resignation, I don't want to put my wife in that position, but I feel like I can't do it myself at this moment of time. I know I should go in and do it myself as it's the right thing to do, but I don't feel like I'm up to it. So I'm not sure what to do?

Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated.
2 Replies 2

JustSomeGirl
Community Member

Hello.

As only a 15-year-old I doubt and can be very helpful but I'll try to give you advise as I went through the exact same thing with school.

After my big anxiety/depression meltdown I was told by a doctor to take some time off school. The original plan was to only have about a week or two off but I was left in a non-stop panic attack where I was unable to leave the house for 3 weeks and struggled throughout everyday for 3 weeks after and still do sometimes.

The best thing to do in my opinion is rest and pace yourself. It sounds simple but as you've probably already found, it's super hard. I have anxious sleep relief tablets i take 30 minutes before i go to bed which I find really helps, i also have an anxiety relief spray for day use in stressful situations. Most of them a small so it may be worth buying a spray if you don't have one already.

My experience with working is extremely limited but you have said that you don't enjoy it. If you want to quit, maybe It's worth taking a week or two more to be able to go in and resign, otherwise you might have to send in your wife. Other then that you could always talk to your boss about this? Honestly I'm not too sure but it definitely sounds like you need a little more time.

Again, I'm probably not a great person to take advise from I just hope something I have said is somehow useful to you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

- JustSomeGirl

Birdy77
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello LFC99,

I am really sorry to hear how anxious you are about this situation.

What a lovely reply from JustSomeGirl 😊

The most important thing is your health. What your boss says or thinks of you is not important in the scheme of things, as you want to leave that workplace anyway and find part time work elsewhere.

How lovely that you have your supportive wife who is taking care of you and is willing to hand your resignation in for you if need be. I understand your over thinking around this - that's the anxiety getting in the road of making a straightforward and sensible decision.

Number one priority is for you to take care of yourself. For you right now it sounds like getting another 2 weeks off work is the first thing to do. Then you can decide if you resign, and how you will do that. But you need more time as you are now feeling worse than before.

Give yourself the time and space and rest that you need right to survive.

Be gentle with yourself.

🌻birdy