FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety - Your Favourite Quotes ... and not so favourite ones

NMTB
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi all,

I don't know whether this thread will go anywhere, but you never know I suppose. It may bring a bit of pondering as well as a bit of amusement. The idea stems from over 30 years of reading and therapy. There have been gems of wisdom and, well, other stuff.

I will kick off with my favourite quote about anxiety, because it speaks so well to my personal experience. Then I will balance it with a little gem of wisdom from a therapist.

And no Grand Inquisitor has in readiness such terrible tortures as has anxiety, and no spy knows how to attack more artfully the man he suspects, choosing the instant when he is weakest, nor knows how to lay traps where he will be caught and ensnared, as anxiety knows how, and no sharp-witted judge knows how to interrogate, to examine the accused as anxiety does, which never lets him escape, neither by diversion nor by noise, neither at work nor at play, neither by day nor at night
― Soren Kierkegaard, The Concept of Dread (1844)

Me: "I'm still having a lot of trouble getting on the motorbike. Once I start the ride I'm OK, I'm wrapped up in it, but sometimes I get trapped at Uni because I can't bring myself to get on the bike."

Psych:"Did I tell you I traded my WRX on a Hyundai Getz? It's a really good little car, lot's of fun to drive"

I promise that really happened, it's engraved on my memory!

Cheers.

6 Replies 6

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

I recently finished reading "The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World", which is filled with many quote worth remember or reprinting. But this one rings the loudest, but hardest (for me) to practice...

"One of my practices comes from an ancient Indian teacher. He taught that when you experience some tragic situation, think about it. If there’s no way to overcome the tragedy, then there is no use worrying too much. So I practice that. (The Dalai Lama was referring to the eighth-century Buddhist master Shantideva, who wrote, “If something can be done about the situation, what need is there for dejection? And if nothing can be done about it, what use is there for being dejected?”)” -- Dalai Lama XIV, The Book of Joy: Lasting Happiness in a Changing World

One of my favourite quotes - "Just because I can’t explain the feelings causing my anxiety, doesn’t make them less valid"

One which I dislike because its so true to so many people - "I miss the person I used to be"

Nick.

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

I'm not sure if this is my favourite, but I noticed it last week. It's from a song on the top 40 at the moment. Caught my attention.

"I'm looking through my phone again, feeling anxious
Afraid to be alone again, I hate this
I'm trying to find a way to chill, can't breathe, oh
Is there somebody who could
Help me, it's like the walls are caving in
Sometimes I feel like giving up
No medicine is strong enough
Someone help me
I'm crawling in my skin
Sometimes I feel like giving up
But I just can't
It isn't in my blood"

-Shaun Mendes

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi NMTB, well I also remember this

When the going gets tough, the tough get going

Turn your wounds into wisdom

Take care.

Geoff.

Chickenhead
Community Member

Whenever I start to worry about something, I have a habit of mulling it over until I get to a point where I feel the need to share it with someone. I'm getting better at sharing it before it becomes a monster in my mind. My husband is getting better at recognising what is a realistic concern and what is anxiety speaking.

His standard response is "stop borrowing trouble".

It's an effective way for him to remind me to focus on things I can control and let go of everything else. It works for me if I voice the concern early enough.

Ruby__2
Community Member

Hi NMTB,

Best advice I ever had was to check how you are talking to yourself.

Ruby 2