FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety problems help.

Rhysb93
Community Member

Hi guys my name is Rhys I’m 26 and believe I have a severe anxiety, wanting to see if anyone has had side effects or symptoms from taking prescribed medication for anxiety.

what im taking currently is an SSRI and as of last night it is only the second night I’ve taken it.

i woke up last night in middle of night with quite bad stomach pain diarrhoea and sweating and racing heart, heart rate was about 145 ( Apple Watch) and then I started shaking I’m not sure if that was because I was panicking or not.

so my question is does medication have these side effects just because I’ve only started taking them or is this my anxiety playing up?

Ive had all necessary heart stress tests and ultrasounds etc about a year ago and I’m fit and healthy so I believe everything is fine there but it’s the first thing I worry about if something odd happens to my heart/heart beat.

if someone could shed some light for me would be amazing thank you!!!

5 Replies 5

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Rhysb,

Welcome to the community here. I am no expert, but have had experience of side effects with different medications. The side effects can be different for every person and some people may experience none at all.

What you experienced could be normal for you. When the Dr prescribed the medication did he/she explain possible side effects with you? When buying new medication I always ask the chemist for an information sheet. A lot of side effects are listed on these sheets. It does not mean you will experience any or all of them.

Can you return to the chemist and ask for some advice if you are unable to see your Dr ion a short period of time?

If you are extremely concerned you could call your local hospital and someone may be able to offer some suggestions.

It can be frightening and concerning when these side effects happen. Hopefully you can get some medical answers.

All the best from Dools

Rhysb93
Community Member

Hi thanks for the reply

the doctor did say a few side effects but nothing I really noticed. I’ve googled the drug and the side effects of it and what I had are less common side effects but it could be my anxiety/stress are escalating those symptoms.

I noticed controlling my breathing calmed me down and my heart slowed down so I believe the anxiety was making it worse. Me freaking out.

Hi Rhys,

I find when things happen that I feel I have little control over, my anxiety spikes...like my appointment at Centrelink yesterday that didn't go as I had planned or as I had been led to expect it would work out. I had a bit of a panic attack as I forgot about the deep breathing exercise!

Congratulations for having the sense to practise this technique and to find it was a relief for you. If you feel these symptoms coming on again, trying the breathing technique and any others you have learnt may well make it a lot easier to deal with if it happens again.

There is a section at the top of the page called "Discussing Medication" if my memory is correct, there may be parts in there that could be helpful for you to read as well in relation to reactions to medications.

All the best from Dools

Rhysb93
Community Member

What are some other breathing techniques I’m new to the whole recovery of anxiety so I’m not too sure what other breathing methods to use.

thanks

Tasguy
Community Member
Hi Rhys I get the runs when starting ads. I recommend asking ur doctor for beta blockers it keeps ur heart rate down and blocks adrenaline when U start to panic. It's a good solution till ur ads kick in. U can always ask for a short course of benzos but be very careful they are habit forming