FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety is preventing me from getting an education

isabelle1188
Community Member
I have had anxiety since I was very young, but over the last 5 or so years it has become unbearable. A short time after I started 8th grade I stopped going to school completely because of my anxiety and I haven’t gone back since. I am supposed to be in 10th grade this year and every day I worry myself sick in terms of what to do about my education. My dad is pressuring me to attend a mainstream school, my mum on the other hand is looking into homeschooling, but I am afraid I can do neither as my anxiety prevents me from leaving the house and I find it difficult to find the motivation to do schoolwork at home.

I have been seeing school counsellors, social workers, and psychologists on and off about my anxiety since I was as young as 6 years old but I have yet to find anyone that has been genuinely helpful. I have had psychologists tell my parents they will no longer see me because I’m too difficult to work with, which has further contributed to my feelings of hopelessness. I have been told to see a psychiatrist, but my mum can not afford to pay for one and my dad doesn’t believe in using therapy or medication to manage depression/anxiety.

I feel like I’m running out of options and I don’t know what else to do.
3 Replies 3

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi isabelle,

I hope it’s okay if I extend a very gentle welcome to you to the forums. I feel anxiety can be so debilitating. I really feel for you...you sound stressed, on edge and disheartened.

It must be so discouraging and draining to go through so many health professionals without clicking with anyone so far...

You sound like you’re being pulled in different directions by your parents with your dad preferring mainstream schools and your mum looking into homeschooling. That must be so stressful...

I don’t know if you’ve been in touch with them before but I would gently suggest giving Headspace a call (you should be able to find their website easily). They help young people with a range of free mental health related services. I was thinking they might be able to offer suggestions re: affordable psychiatrists (plus offer other assistance as well).

Again, I’m sorry you’re going through such a hard time...

Now, there’s no pressure or rush but if you’re feeling up to it, it would be lovely to hear from you again. Some people find it helpful to write their feelings, vent, etc here so you’re welcome to write any time you like/want to.

Kind and caring thoughts,

Pepper

LavenderTea
Community Member

Hey Isabelle,

I'm really sorry to hear that you've had trouble finding a mental health worker that's worked for you.

I just want to reiterate what Pepper has mentioned. Headspace is a great tool for seeking professional help. They generally have GPs as well as mental health clinicians in their centers so it's definitely a great place to start.

Medication is a tricky one - you are at an age where you can legally see a doctor or mental health clinician without your parents, so you do have a choice as to whether or not you would like to see a doctor and discuss medication. Generally, GPs can prescribe some of the regular medications for depression and anxiety (rather than having to see a psychiatrist), and if you or your parents have a health care card, this can sometimes reduce the cost of medication.

If you do want to have some discussions with mental health professionals, you can see them in person at headspace, OR there are online services such as eheadspace, through which you can communicate with a trained mental health clinician from home, either via email or chat. You have options 🙂

Hopefully this helps!

LT.

baet123
Community Member

Hi Isabella,

Welcome to the forums.

Thank you for sharing your story with us. It is extremely brave of you and I commend you for doing so.

It sucks to hear that you are going through and have been through some tough times.

Pepper and LT gave some great advice above. School can be tough at the best of times let alone if you have anxiety etc. I remember when I went to school, jeez we have no where near the amount of social pressure and expectations as children these days.

I think a good idea might be if you discuss all your options with your parents and basically let them know exactly how you feel and that you want to decide your education and your future. Your parent's only want you to be happy and I know that they might not always know what is best but their intentions seem to be good.

Like LT said, medication may also be a possibility but I would discuss this with your family and your health professional Maybe request a meeting with your GP and your family or a psychiatrist and your family to discuss your options in terms of a holistic approach to treatment. Medication worked well for me and many people I know and maybe for you to but that is something to discuss with the professionals.

Here are a few things you can try or discuss with your health professionals:
- Learning relaxation skills
- Realistic thinking (cognitive exposure)
- Problem solving
- Gradual exposure therapy
- Child anxiety management strategies - taught to your parents.

You are extremely brave and strong. Stay positive and let us know how it goes!

All the best!

Baet123