FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety disorder and panic attacks

mjncoursecar
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forums, so here is my story. Any advice would be appreciated, or just to discuss with other people who have been through a similar experience:

A couple of years ago, I started to suffer from anxiety and depression, and for a few months, had no idea what to do. After a while, I decided to seek help from a psychologist, from which I improved to a point in which I no longer thought I needed to see the psychologist. For about 12 months, I did have a few bad days, but nothing which concerned me. Earlier this year, the anxiety came back worse than before, which was later found to be caused by extreme stress. I also started to develop panic attacks, and at my worst, would be having one every day or two. I found this quite debilitating. Once again, I started seeing a psychologist until recently. I still have tough days (sometimes even weeks). I get really tired by the early afternoon, which has been due to the constant anxiety. I have also developed tremors in my hands, which on a good day, are very minor. On a bad day, they stop me from doing anything (writing, holding something, etc.). Also, being on edge all the time is exhausting, and I do feel very frustrated with it sometimes.

I still get through every day, and have been developing my support network as I open up to more of my friends, which has been helping a lot.

5 Replies 5

HA1
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi mjn

welcome to BB and thank you for posting your story.

I am no GP, but it certainly sounds like you have a severe case of anxiety.  You say that you have intermittently seen a psychologist, but have you been prescribed any medication by a GP or psychiatrist?  If not, you might find that this would help.  Also, I think you should probably continue to see a GP and psychologist on a more regular basis.

i am sure others on here will be able to provide more suggestions and support, but thought I would just post this message to welcome you.

take care

K

dougall
Community Member
Hi you have chosen a good place to ask for help, there are many reading your story, some want to answer but don't know how.  Just letting you know people are listening.

dougall
Community Member
Hi how are you doing, hope your day goes well.

mjncoursecar
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi,

Things aren't too bad at the moment. The uni semester has finished, so some of the pressure has been lifted, but exams are coming up, which doesn't help. I have been granted extra time in exams to take breaks to relax.

I still have my bad days, which makes everything harder, especially in the university environment, where social interaction is key.

One thing that frustrates me is the stigma associated with mental health problems. I've seen how people act differently around people with mental health issues. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this?

mjncoursecar
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi,

Just thought I would post an update. Now that I'm in exam mode everything is getting worse. The anxiety symptoms are increasing. I'm starting to develop paranoid symptoms when I'm anxious. Does anyone else get this?

As a result, I'm exhausted by mid-afternoon, and sleeping for 10+ hours a night (I normally sleep about 8). Most days I'm just frustrated that I keep having to go through this.

Any advice?