FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety and taking the first step

Shy_Girl10
Community Member

Hi

This is only the second time i have posted here and really should do it more. My anxiety has gradually been getting worse and i just dont know what to do anymore. I feel like im annoying people/my best friend with my constant issues. I desperately want to talk to my friend about how im feeling but just dont know how.

I have been wanting to go see a GP to talk about my Mental health but finding it hard to take that step. I have never been good at talking to people, and always found messaging easier. Thinking about going and taking that step has me worried if people will judge me or what they will think of me..

I am in constant worry about what others think of me. Im not the prettiest person, or have that perfect figure, and ive been hating myself a lot for it. I want to get on top of my anxiety and im just about over it. I look at my friends and how they are, and how they look after thenselves, yet i struggle to even go see someone. How? Why?

Any ideas what more i can do?

Lisa

1 Reply 1

NMTB
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi ShyGirl,

As a long term sufferer and a bit of an old bloke I will limit myself to offering some advice on how to take that VERY important first step of talking to your GP. There are others on here better placed to offer advice on other issues you raise.

I have always found it easier, like you , to communicate via writing, whether that be emails, sms etc than talking in person or over the phone. In fact I simply don't answer phones. My suggestion (and one I still use even with my psych who knows me well) is to write down what you would like to say . Then leave it, re-read it and make any changes you would like so that it really gets your message across. Then take it with you to the GP and when they ask how they can help just say you have written it down as that is the best way you can talk about it.

Any GP who has a problem with that should not be in practice. Of course they are bound to ask questions, but the main thing is you will have got the most important things across in what you wrote. If you don't feel like that GP really listened to you, don't give up, go and try another one. If you feel it went well ask the GP to take a copy of your statement for your records so that it is there for them to refer to in any follow up visits.

Hope this is of some small help.

Cheers.