FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Age 23/very anxious about doing driving test next month

Mina19
Community Member

Hi people,

I’ve been diagnosed with severe anxiety, ptsd, panic disorder and a few other smaller things but have been trying to take care of myself. Anyway, I’m 23 now and want to push myself to do my driving test. I haven’t had a ridiculous amount of practice but I would say I know the main things fairly enough but I’m just scared because from people who have taken the test, are the driving test instructors like the ones on the main day of the test mean to people and yell?? I know it might sound like a stupid question but I just have seen in like movies and things like they yell at people and make it impossible for them to pass. I feel like I’m overreacting but I’m just so scared. I will definitely practice more in the coming weeks for sure but I’m just worried about the actual day.

3 Replies 3

Bibbetyboo
Community Member

Hey, 
I can completely relate to this except I am 38 and never ended up getting my license because i got too freaked out. 
I drove for 3 years, bought my own first car and drove that until my ex rode it off and almost any other car I could get into after for years.
I have had over 30 professional lessons in clusters over the years the last was in 2021 where I quit before finishing for the first time because my instructor kept yelling at me for no real reason, a bad fit I guess but that wasn't the final exam. I think if the final assessor has to yell it'd only be because something serious was about to or did happen.

What helped before my test was to go and read about how people flunked then passed later down the track, some of the stories are funny and i should have had my instructor with me to dispute his decision, in my opinion it wasn't fair.

I have driven off and on for 10 or more years and I still don't have a license and If I never have to get behind a wheel in my life, I wont.
I never got that whole car is an extension idea and have had terrible anxiety every single time i have sat in the drivers seat or even thought about having a lesson will keep me up all night.
Driving is one of my greatest fears.
I have never been in an accident or witnessed one but I have this absolute dread about the idea of driving so bad that I cant invision it ever happening for me.

That makes me sad, why cant I do this? I found myself thinking often, Everyone else I know can do this but I have this absolutely irrational fear of it and can't go through with it!
Now i have to walk my 2 year old in a pram everywhere and plan every day before hand.

I went for my P's after all that experience and completed the test, but failed suddenly for allowing the tire to touch a curve and i was so shocked he "decided" to fail me it totally crippled me from wanting to drive.
Believe in yourself! What i remember about the test was that it was a much slower pace than my actual driving experience and it was also safer since you have someone professional there.

The worst that could happen is that you dont pass this time but, the next you will know basically what to expect and how to handle it.

I wish you better than I did myself.

gloria10
Community Member

Hi Mina19. Its so good that you are backing yourself to get your drivers license.  I can definitely understand the hesitancy, but when I went for mine (even though it was a while ago 🙂 ) he was calm and patient.  It could be good to research a couple of different places and even speak to the company to advise them of your situation so they could put you through to the best instructor.  I really hope it goes well for you.

Hi, I have anxiety and passed my test after failing twice when I was 31. No one yelled at all! I was super nervous and stressed about it, but what helped me was thinking about it like this - the worst thing that can happen is that you fail. Which isn't that bad. Just a little expensive to book another test. A lot of people fail the first time. I was nervous because I didn't know what the test was going to be like. Even though I failed the test and ended up very nervous and sweaty and disappointed, I sort of learned how the test was done if that makes sense. So don't give up if you feel super nervous on the day. Either you will pass and surprise yourself, or fail and use it as a learning experience for the next one. You can do it!