FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Life feels so hard

Someone-who-sleeps
Community Member

I have felt a little broken lately, I don't even know why. I have people who care and love me, I have friends but I feel so down.

My friend group has been torn lately, one day they are all happy the next they are tense. I don't know what to do. I also feel like school is becoming a pressure and a bit to deal with. I complain so much, my friends and family are sick of it. I haven't cried for a while so that is good...right? I feel like my life is a mess, I just can't keep up with it some days.

I feel like I am being petty and I should be complaining about myself. There are many others suffering more.

6 Replies 6

Sophie_M

Hey Someone-who-sleeps, 

Thank you so much for reaching out here. It sounds like you have loads to deal with, between problems in your friendships group, the pressure of school, and not feeling heard when talking about this with your friends or family. This would be really hard to deal with, and we're glad you could share the way you're feeling here.  

How you're feeling is important, and if it's hard for you, you deserve to feel listened to and supported. It's not petty, it's your wellbeing, and we're here. We hope you find some comfort in this community. Reaching out is a great step towards feeling better.  It's important to remember that you can call the Beyond Blue helplines anytime you need to talk things through, on 1300 22 4636, or you can use the webchat or email. Another option is to ring KidsHelpline, they might be good to talk to about the challenges in your friendship, or with school. Their number is 1800 55 1800, and they also have a webchat, here.

We also think it could be good to talk to someone in your life that can support you. This could be family, a school counsellor or a trusted friend.  

Thank you again for posting to the site. You never know who else might see your post and feel less alone in their own experiences. 

Kind regards, 

Sophie M 

Amanda2000
Community Member

Hi Someone-who-sleeps,

Maybe you can try to think of this as a temporary phase in life. The time will pass and you'll be feeling better again.

Unfortunately life is full of ups and downs. If it's something that I cannot change, I just go with the flow and ride it out.

School pressure is no different to work pressure. Sometimes my work can be a good distraction from my problems. Maybe you can try this? Start with your favourite subject and find something interesting that you can really get into. For example if English is your favourite subject, google to find out about the author's life or read more books written by the same author or watch a movie-adaption of the novel you're studying?

cabbagebus
Community Member

Hi someone who sleeps,

It’s okay to feel that way. Things are tough sometimes and it’s okay to feel like everything is a mess.

I remember one time a teacher talking about the three P’s: Personal, Physical and Professional (or academic if you’re a student, I guess), and how these should be your goals. I remember thinking “Wow, I’m failing at all of those.”

But it’s okay, you know? In the end, everything will be okay. I read back my journal where I wrote about the P's, and it makes me laugh. Partly because I still have periods of time where I feel the same way.

I’m sorry about your friend group. It’s hard. It’s okay to feel sad and it doesn’t matter why. You matter and your problems matter. You aren’t alone. Life is hard sometimes, but I think sometimes it’s a bit easier if you take it piece by piece. And, occasionally, those pieces might seem to “fit together”.

I really hope you feel better soon,

CB 🙂

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Someone who sleeps

thanks for your honest reply.You are not being petty or complaining about yourself.
Many people suffer and everyone’s problems are valid so it is not useful to compare ourselves with others.

take care

Claudia_L
Community Member

Hi Someone who sleeps,

Firstly, thank you for sharing this. I know it would have taken a lot of courage to reach out and post this and I am proud of you for doing so.

I want you to know that all your feelings and emotions are valid. It is completely okay to feel like this at times. I hope these feelings surpass you soon and you are able to feel better about yourself. I myself have always had issues with friends and can understand where you are coming from. It is important to stay true to yourself and ensure that you are focusing on your thoughts and feelings. School is also always something that contributes to feelings of anxiety and external pressures. Perhaps you can confide in your teachers and make arrangements about upcoming assignments/ tests to reduce the stress?

Also, do not ever feel like you should not be complaining or that you are being petty. You have every right ot be feeling the way you are. There is no need to compare yourself to others because trauma and stress is different in every single person and every single situation. Everyone reacts to situations differently and that is more than okay!
I hope you have a lovely week!

Cheers,

Claudia

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Someone-who-sleeps, thanks for coming to the site.

Crying is a release of any physical and/or emotional pain you are struggling with, in any situation you need to do so and there is no shame at all.

Friendships are so confused because they never know if and when another lockdown is going to happen, so this can make everything tense not only with your friends but also within the group, and maybe there are other people suffering more, that's not the issue here because we are talking with you and thread is different to another one and can't be compared, yours is just as important.

Talking with your friends and family may not be about how you are feeling but how they are actually feeling themselves due to these lockdowns, as all our lives have been put into not knowing what's going to happen next, it's so frustrating but please try and ring what Sophie has suggested, and hope you can get back to us.

Geoff.