FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

I can't deal with the stress and pressure from school and assignments.

JacksonOB
Community Member
I am Jackson, a student in Grade 9 in Brisbane. I have been overwhelmed by assignments, assessments, homework and work in general. I am not the best of students, I am extremely worried and stressed out about my marks with last year my marks dropping heavily in Maths, English and almost all of most of the subjects, but mainly Maths. I just can't deal with all the stress and pressure from assignments and I can't focus in class cause my school forces us to wear masks. I just don't know what to do with all of it. Due to all of the things I have mentioned it has begun to take a toll on me personally with me not getting sleep, exercise and my mood is suffering. I have begun to spiral into a pit of sadness and depression and I can't get out of it. I really just need help.
2 Replies 2

Sophie_M
Hey Jackson, 

Thanks for joining the Beyond Blue forums and sharing your experiences here. We're sorry to hear how difficult school is at the moment. We can understand how the coronavirus and lockdown restrictions would be placing a lot of stress on students. It sounds like you're going through a lot at the moment, have you shared these feelings with anyone? If you feel comfortable it might be something worth talking about with your parents or the school counsellor. They might be able to help in finding strategies for stress management. 

We would recommend that you get in touch with Kids Helpline - https://kidshelpline.com.au/ 
It might help to talk it out whenever you're feeling overwhelmed. Kids Helpline counsellors can be contacted 24/7 by young people 25 and under via telephone and also via webchat if you go through the website provided.

Headspace is another organisation we would recommend, they are specifically for young people aged 12-25 and they offer a wide range of services including counselling and group programs. They also have a group chat on their webpage - https://headspace.org.au/

Thanks again for joining us Jackson, 

Sasquatchion
Community Member

Hey Jackson,

Mate, I can relate to you about not being the best student. I was also terrible at math when I was in school. What is it that you're struggling with in your subjects? Are you not able to concentrate on the in-classroom work during school time and not understanding the information covered by your teacher? Or are you struggling to concentrate when you're doing homework or studying for your exams? I'd love to help you try and find some strategies to get you more confident with your school work - from one bad student to another!

I'm not a teacher quite yet, but I am studying Education to help kids just like myself who struggle with their learning.

I just want to reassure you that struggling in school is nothing to be ashamed of, or does it make you a bad person. If you are worried that your marks are going to affect your future, I can promise you they will not! I failed mathematics and science in years 7, 8, 9 and 10... and here I am at university.

Keep your chin up, mate! We're here for you if you want to chat more.

Cheers,

Sasquatchion šŸ™‚