FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Am I worthless

Guest_7370
Community Member
I feel as if I’m not important, or not needed, I have a large friendship group(so everyone will be fine without me) and I’m Aromantic so it’s not like I have a soal mate out there, if my family was dead, not that I want that, but if I didn’t have them, i would feel nothing holding me back from dying, my friends try to tell me that they need me, but I just don’t know what to think, I…
9 Replies 9

Sophie_M
Hi Guest_7370,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for sharing your story with us here. It takes a lot of courage to reach out for support, you also never know who will read this post and feel less alone in their own experiences. We are sorry to hear that you are feeling worthless and unimportant, it sounds like you've been having such a hard time recently. We can hear that things have been difficult and we understand that this must be such a scary time for you, but please know that you've come to a safe and non-judgemental space to express yourself, and our caring community are here to offer their support and advice to you- you never have to go through this alone.

If you would like to talk to someone we would recommend that you get in contact with the Beyond Blue Support Service. They are available 24/7 by phone on 1300 22 4636 or on Webchat 1pm-12am AEST on our website: www.beyondblue.org.au/getsupport  One of our friendly counsellors will be able to talk through these feelings with you and can offer support, advice and referrals.

We also strongly urge that in overwhelming moments you get in touch with our friends at Lifeline (13 11 14) or the Suicide Call Back Service (1300 659 467).

We're all here for you, and we hope that you keep us updated on how you're going whenever you feel ready. 

Sophia16
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hey,

I am so sorry about how you feel and I wish I could help.

I just want to say that I am really happy you are here. Here on this Earth and existencece. You are 1 in 7 billion people. You were able to survive 9 months in the womb and now you are here. You are nowhere near worthless.

If it is okay to ask how are you coping with what's been happening in your life?

You may be dealing with extreme hardship at the moment but I promise you, things will get better. In a few years time, you will look back and say, wow did I really think that.

Please speak to the Beyond Blue support service (1300 22 4636), Lifeline (13 11 14), a trained psychologist or a close friend if you feel any worse.

Always here to chat.

manpreetrockerji
Community Member
no you are not worth less

therising
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Guest_7370

It's definitely such an enormous challenge at times, figuring out who we are and where we fit in. At times it can even feel torturous in a number of ways, especially if you're left feeling like you just don't fit in anywhere.

It's strange in a way how 'fitting in' has a feeling to it. Sometimes you can walk into a room of complete strangers and they're the kind of people who you can just feel are so happy to have you there. There are times where you can walk into a room full of people you've known for years, including family, and you just don't feel a sense of belonging, not even an ounce. I actually find there are people in my life who can proclaim their love for me but to tell you the truth I just aint feeling the love at times. There can be people in my life who I know love me yet rarely ever say it...I feel it based on the number of times they work in leading me to smile. I feel it with my son and my daughter and they feel loved by me. I'll actually get a huge smile from them, along with an eye roll, whenever they walk into the room and hear me say, as I shield my eyes, 'Hang on a second, just have to go get my sun glasses because YOU are simply way too brilliant. I can't stand it!' To me, that's love in its simplest form, raising someone to a smile.

Sounds like your friends do need you, perhaps they just don't show it in a way you can really feel. Do you feel it on occasions or do you think you'd feel what you wish to with a new circle of people? Someone once gave me some brilliant advice - Depending on what stage of your evolution you're at, you'll feel if you're vibing with your circle or not. If not, consider it may time to graduate to a new circle of people who'll raise you even further. As you search for your new circle, you may even keep a couple of people from your old one. Sometimes we can collect people as we go through life.

Romance is an interesting sense. I'd class it as a sense, something we're sensitive to feeling. Personally, I've come to redefine romance as 'Something that speaks to the soul'. While a lot of people tend to link romance to having an intimate partner, I think you can have a romance with just about anything you can connect with that simply brings you more to life in certain ways. While some may search for romance with someone else throughout the whole of their life and never find it, others develop a soulful love affair with aspects of themself which bring them to life.

🙂

chadicha
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hey, your so loved in ways you'll never be able to comprehend. Your perceptions are lying to you, please don't believe it. I was just like you, sometimes its hard in life, when everyones so busy and seems to be okay with or without you, but deep down people do love you and think about you and smile thinking about you and things you do and memories with you, but sometimes in todays day and age we don't hear it much. It's hard for people to express it sometimes because I guess were all going through our own things. I always used to believe no one cared about me, and by that I really damaged a lot of my relationships because I didn't think they cared when they actually did. The buzz and spirs of life can be really deceiving sometimes when everyone seems to be in their own worlds, but you are loved! There is someone out there for you don't even worry, they will come into your life when the time is right. We were all created with our other person in mind. Stay strong, have hope because one day you'll realise looking back how worth it it was sticking out, You got this xx

Saturn_94
Community Member

Hey Guest_7370,

I can understand how you're feeling, and I'm sorry you're feeling the way you are. I can understand that sometimes it feels like you're just floating through life, barely making a scratch on the surface of it. And I don't know your exact circumstances, but I'm certain you aren't worthless.

If I ever feel a bit this way, I try to imagine what I'll be in 10 years time (a little bit terrifying in itself). I know I'll become so much more, and I won't be stuck here forever. What do you want to do in life? Where do you want to go? You will make something of yourself, and it's ok if you haven't found yourself yet, haven't found your very best friends yet. I was in a friend group where I didn't feel that I belonged, and I could go for almost a day not talking, barely being. But I've found a new friend group, and I do belong. And it's so much better.

So in short, don't give up yet, there's loads of other things to do in life, and sometimes you aren't in the right friend group (or maybe you are I'm not one to judge), but I hope you find something really meaningful to you.

You are worth something.

Shay123
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hey Guest_7370!

I'm sorry you feel this way but I know what it feels like! It's tough to understand or believe people when they say that they need you when you can't see a reason that reinforces that statement (and especially if you see reasons that reinforces that they don't need you). This absolutely does not mean that you're worthless though and, again, I know that can be hard to believe. It's also important to remember that you never know what other people may be going through so if they've possibly said something in a frustrated tone of voice that doesn't mean that they're getting frustrated at you! If these feelings continue it may be worthwhile seeing a mental health professional about it (especially if this gets any worse) and there's no shame in doing so! It may also be helpful to remember that people (unfortunately) often don't verbalize or show their true emotion to its full extent! These feelings are only temporary though (but still valid), they won't last forever! But know that even though you may not believe it, you really do mean the world to so many people, family and friends included and there are probably people out there who you've met once and you'll mean a lot to them to! Self-worth is such a challenging part of ourselves that always needs work but speaking up is the first and toughest part and your doing a great job! Try finding a bunch of activities you enjoy doing (same or new) and give them a go and if worst comes to worst well you'll have a great story to tell! Also try saying three positive things about yourself when you wake up (doesn't have to be appearance, it can be anything)! Keep reaching out and talking to someone about it! I find it helps me the most!

_Hotdogwater_
Community Member

Hey Guest_7370,
You are absolutely not worthless.
I often was feeling similar to you, I thought my life was meaningless and not worth living, but I realised that this was probably the only life I was going to get and That I shouldn't waste it. Even though it may not feel like it these feelings pass, my suggestion is to make some life goals, things you want to accomplish in your lifetime. Maybe pick up some new hobbies or do the things you enjoy.

Your friends seem to hold you in very high regard and really appreciate you. You can make such an impact on people throughout your life, and the world is better with you in it.

Regards, Hotdogwater

Aussie96
Community Member

I feel you... I am also Aromantic and sometimes I just feel like I am nothing and I should just cease to exist... but we should keep on going there are so many people that care about us some that we have known our whole life or some that we are yet to meet. We may feel worthless but to others, we are the best person alive. Don't give up, we aromantics need to stick together and show the world what we are made of.