FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Where best to find support for parents / carers of teenagers with anxiety and depression?

Lawnz
Community Member
Hi there. I'm hoping to find a group that supports parents / carers of adolescents with anxiety and depression: problems getting to school, friendship, feelings of self-worth, anger towards and blaming parents, inability to sleep, and the list is endless. Especially when the parent / carer is struggling with work-related bullying and related stress / depression. Thanks for being there.
4 Replies 4

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion
Hi and welcome to beyond blue.

Probably the best place you could look would be to check out your state government web site / page for mental health services and on that page you will also find links to groups for parent support and links to other groups like GROW etc.

Another possibility might be to have a chat with your GP whether there are any local services to meet your needs.

If you cannot find anything and you know of.other people in similar positions to could start your own group. In one of my jobs (parish admin) I take enquiries from people who want to use our facilities for different support groups.

Hopefully some of these ideas will help you.

Tim

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Lawnz,

Welcome to the forums and thank you for being here. It's great to hear that you're looking for resources. I take it from your post that you are ideally looking for an in-person group?

Tim /Smallwolf gave some good suggestions. You could also look at contacting your local Community Mental Health Centre - a lot of groups link up here that aren't advertised widely. You could also try this link and then filter by your state -

https://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au/getting-help/clinics-support-groups/other-support-groups

Best of luck in your search

RT

Thanks, RT - your words and advice much appreciated!

Thanks, Lawnz

Lawnz
Community Member

Thanks for you kind words and advice - I will give it a go!

Cheers, Lawnz