FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mature thinker joins the crowd

Julchen
Community Member

Hello!

With a lifetime of experiences I hope to be of use in these forums and also get some help myself. I am a single female of 63 years of age and was forced out of my job as Nursing Assistant through a work-related accident 5 years ago with still 1 1/2 years to go now until retirement. There are lots of ups and downs in coping with my situation, sometimes the loneliness gets to me, the financial worries and the unfairness of all (not much hope of finding a job when 60 or older). Unfortunately I live semi-rural and transport is often a problem as I am aware of social activities etc. that would help.  My Volunteer work with a group in a Nature Reserve maintaining the area, counting Koalas and the morning tee is a welcome change every week. I am computer literate, like browsing and discovering things on the net.  I am hoping to find other ways through these forums to "tackle" the increasing stress and perhaps anxiety that keeps building up.

2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Julchen, welcome

You seem to be doing everything right. Keep working closely with your GP for medications though.

Some find life easier than others. you have a wealth of knowledge and experience yet like many you'll feel like you are left behind in many ways. Your volunteer work is a big tick from me. Watch out for those drop bears though 🙂

My only suggestion is to find a passion. Many people with MI or struggles don't have one, a hobby etc. With a passion your mind can be taken away from the hurdles of daily life redirected towards what you love to do.

In the meantime read up on the many threads here on this forum.

Being off work is no easy road. Soon you'll be on aged pension and relaxing a little more.

Life is just unfair at times.

Take care. Tony WK

Paul
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Julchen,

Welcome! I hear what you're saying about having to leave work early and bide time until retirement. I can see how it would be a burden and isolating.

There's lots of people on here with interesting experiences and some sage advice always seems to help.

I wonder if you've checked out "meetup" to see if there are any groups in your area that use meetup to get together for social activities. Meetup has an app and a website.

Take care.

Paul