FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Covid and teaching in WA

Jazzymum33
Community Member

I'm scared. I live in WA and for the first time the threat of bringing covid home is really real.

I don't want to sit in a room with 200 colleagues and have meetings. It's not logical.

I care for my elderly father and am scared I will ultimately kill him. He hasn't had booster yet.

Kids don't socially distance. Our classrooms are not ventilated well.

Is anyone else feeling like me? It's like a I'm running into an inevitable brick wall of fear that others don't seem to understand.

Love to know it's not just me.

5 Replies 5

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Jazzymum33,

Thank you for your post and a warm welcome to our forums.

I completely understand your fear here. I'm not a teacher, nor am I a school student anymore, but I have a sister who is still in school, so I hear all the updates on the Covid situation in her school. To be honest, I didn't really understand the logic of restricting gatherings due to Covid but then having classrooms full of students and teachers. It sounds so impractical to me. Your fear is definitely valid.

I also have an elderly grandmother who I'm also very concerned about during this time, as I fear what would happen to her if she contracts Covid.

I empathise with your situation, and I can't even imagine the fear and uncertainty you would be feeling right now.

Are you able to conduct any of your classes online? Or is there some way you could perhaps attend the meeting online? At this stage, doing as much as you can online would be your safest bet, if this is a realistic and viable option.

I wish you and your family well. Please continue to chat with us on the forums, we're here to support you.

All the best, SB

Thanks SB.

I re really appreciate your reply. Reading a validation of what I'm feeling helps.

My problem is really based deeply in being a logical, well researched scientific thinker with a history of surviving some big time situations that shouldn't have gone wrong but did. That niggling feeling that it should be okay but knowledge that it often goes wrong.

In saying that im alive and live in a beautiful part of the world so i dont have a lot to complain about.

I will do all the things you've suggested but takes time. Online learning not permitted yet.

Petal22
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Jazzymum33,

Wellcome to our forums!

I understand the feeling of being scared with COVID.

Its the unknown…

If you feel as though your anxiety is distressing to you please make an appointment with your gp and discuss how you are feeling.

You could do a mental health plan together this will enable you to see a psychologist who can help you with many strategies for anxiety.

Bette_E
Community Member

Hi Jazzymum33,

I'm in WA and am also scared! Scared of Covid enveloping us when the border opens, and scared for my elderly grandfather.

The one thing that has given me some sense of control is writing to my local MP and expressing my concerns. Maybe it could help you also, to share your very valid concerns with someone who has the power to advocate for you. As a teacher and important member of the WA community, I think they should listen to you.

Alternatively, journaling can help, as a tool to offload all our concerns, and also it bears a record of how far we've come. It will be interesting for us all to reflect on this time, some time in the future, in a post-Covid world.

Best wishes

Bette

sbella02
Community Champion
Community Champion

Jazzymum33,

I completely understand you there. Sometimes knowledge is power, but other times ignorance can be blissful - the only thing worse than knowing too little is knowing too much. They're all quotes from various places, unfortunately I don't know the source behind any of them.

That's very true. It can be so empowering to express gratitude for your life. It's also very human to complain and have concerns despite the good parts of life, so your feelings will always be valid. 🙂

Take care, SB