Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

1113 Introduction
  • replies: 5

Hi All, New to forums but not depression. 20yrs plus now with intervals of major depressive disorder. Currently in recovery after a pretty bad 3 month trip with massive amounts of psychosis, Anxiety, panic attacks and agrophobia. I am only just able ... View more

Hi All, New to forums but not depression. 20yrs plus now with intervals of major depressive disorder. Currently in recovery after a pretty bad 3 month trip with massive amounts of psychosis, Anxiety, panic attacks and agrophobia. I am only just able to post this with thoughts of being badly judged and so on and so forth. I'm sure that everyone understands. I have had alot of experience with major depression and am able to give my support. Knowing when your capable is so important. I hope all are safe and have kind people helping and caring.

Ragthor I want to cry
  • replies: 4

I have cried in the past and it has helped relieve this pressure I have inside of me. Unfortunately, that was with my now ex-partner. Long story short, she used me and my depression and I am now bankrupt. I want to cry and let all of my pain out but ... View more

I have cried in the past and it has helped relieve this pressure I have inside of me. Unfortunately, that was with my now ex-partner. Long story short, she used me and my depression and I am now bankrupt. I want to cry and let all of my pain out but I trust no one. I get very close when talking to my doctor about what is going on in my head, but I still can't. I know it sounds strange but all I want is to be a blubbering mess for a little while. For some reason, I think it may help. Does anyone have some tips for letting it go?

Lolita Hello
  • replies: 4

Hi everyone I've had an account here for a while but have never been an active user on these forums. I suppose i decided to write this post because lately things have become too much for me and I'm struggling to see a way forward. I've had depression... View more

Hi everyone I've had an account here for a while but have never been an active user on these forums. I suppose i decided to write this post because lately things have become too much for me and I'm struggling to see a way forward. I've had depression, anxiety and an eating disorder (on and off) for at least 10-15 years now. For most of that time time while it's been unpleasant, it has been managable. But the past few weeks I've been under a lot of stress and i think that has caused my depression/anxiety to flare up to the point where i broke down a couple times in a toilet cubicle at work today. And i am cobstabtly feeling like i want to cry and getting amxiety attacks. The external stress won't go away anytime soon, and taking time off worm isn't an option right now. So i thought becoming a regular on this forum and talking about my issues might help me get through it all. Sorry for the rant, but i am grateful to meet you all and to have found this site!

Mrs49 Nothing seems to go right

This is all new to me. Been feeling so down and so depressed. I just completed a travel course and I just cant seem to get a job. I am competing with all the young ones. I give it my all in a n interview, but it's almost during the interview they see... View more

This is all new to me. Been feeling so down and so depressed. I just completed a travel course and I just cant seem to get a job. I am competing with all the young ones. I give it my all in a n interview, but it's almost during the interview they see and work out how old I am and the the interview goes cold. I am 49 years old and decided to have a career change. On top of that my husband works (which is great) but on one income we are struggling. I want to work and I am applying for other jobs suitable but just feel so ashamed that we took out a loan to pay for for the course now I cant get a job to pay it off...its seems no matter how hard we try to make our lives happy and to move forward something gets in the way... I no longer want to be social with my friends as I just don't want to hear "oh you did that course' now you have not got a job. I have pulled away from social events, as we cant afford to go anywhere anyway. My husband is very understanding but it just does not seem to help, I just feel so down. I know I am also going through menopause and that does not help my situation but I feel as though its just not just that. I am normally a positive person and have used mindfulness before but I cant even get my mind back into that... its so frustrating and I feel like a failure.

BlueMatters Hi....
  • replies: 6

I am new here and I have suffered with depression for 12 years now. I was in a very bad place in the first few years with it, received a lot of help and managed to control most of the time. But over the last 2 years i find myself back having bad thou... View more

I am new here and I have suffered with depression for 12 years now. I was in a very bad place in the first few years with it, received a lot of help and managed to control most of the time. But over the last 2 years i find myself back having bad thoughts and getting snappy and aggressive very spontaneously. It makes me sick to my stomach that I cant control this myself and I need help but if I don't I fear i'm going to lose many years with my family that could of turned out better. I don't really know how this forum works but just writing it all down is a big step.

Teal_shy_guy New person
  • replies: 7

Sup guys. ummmmm,. haven't been feeling too good lately. Searched for forums on google. Google replied with this. Good ol google..... Man even as I type this I'm feeling the anxiety. I've gone to health professionals about it. made me feel better for... View more

Sup guys. ummmmm,. haven't been feeling too good lately. Searched for forums on google. Google replied with this. Good ol google..... Man even as I type this I'm feeling the anxiety. I've gone to health professionals about it. made me feel better for a nice while. went to a support group too. That also was nice while I did it. man I feel so tired and exhausted from the anxiety at the moment. I'm sure alot of you might know that is really friggen draining. I dont thinks its severe anxiety right now but it's been so constant that it just makes me so exhausted. I've come to accept that this is part of me. Recently it's gotten to the point where I think I've become delirious from it. Like I mean I can't help but laugh at myself right now on how friggin crummy everything is (like literally giggling out loud through the anxiety). I guess that's a sign that I'm still okay right? Then i feel depressed. I do feel down about how things are now and then. Anyways. I felt like I should or need to vent. ....... So tired. -_-

CGiblet Hello Everyone
  • replies: 3

Hello to everyone here. Im very new to this and although it seems kinda intimidation i'll do be best to introduce myself. Im fairly young, some how beat the odds to come out of terminal illness and infidelity to go try and start over in England, spen... View more

Hello to everyone here. Im very new to this and although it seems kinda intimidation i'll do be best to introduce myself. Im fairly young, some how beat the odds to come out of terminal illness and infidelity to go try and start over in England, spent a few years there, found love again and have come back to Australia for a year or to with an amazing partner. Coming back has been pretty rough, turns out its pretty easy to ignore your past problems when you're half a world away from themIm finding it hard to get the confidence up to land a job even though i was hugely successful in England. But i guess my biggest fear is that all of the past sadness, insecurity and grief thats caught up with me being back here; will come between my partner and I and drive us apart. I don't want to be dependent on him or anyone for my happiness, i just seem to have forgotten how to depend on myself. Everyday here something seems to remind me of the cancer or the betrayal of my ex partner, i have anxiety most of the time and its incredibly hard to not take that out on my partner who doesnt deserve any of the fall out of what Ive been through. Long story short, I dont have much hope left but Ive still got a bit of fight in me , and hopefully will come through with my soul mate so i can finally move on. Anyway apologies for the short novel, and I really do hope something in your day makes you thankful. C

Endtroducing New to BB and New(ish) to Oz - C-PTSD, BPD and Depression.

Good evening all, I'm Lyndsey from Sydney (originally from Manchester, England). I'm new to Beyond Blue and just got out of my first hospital admission yesterday. Could really use some company from people who understand this kind of stuff and this pl... View more

Good evening all, I'm Lyndsey from Sydney (originally from Manchester, England). I'm new to Beyond Blue and just got out of my first hospital admission yesterday. Could really use some company from people who understand this kind of stuff and this place seemed like a good place to drop by. Hope everyone is getting by okay xx

lower_case Greetings!!!! :-)
  • replies: 2

Hello all, i am new here. i spend a lot of time mulling over and stewing on things. So going to trying talking about stuff here online. See if that helps. Also hopefully listen and meet some new people, I called myself 'lower case' cause i always sub... View more

Hello all, i am new here. i spend a lot of time mulling over and stewing on things. So going to trying talking about stuff here online. See if that helps. Also hopefully listen and meet some new people, I called myself 'lower case' cause i always subconsciously use a lower case 'i' when referring to myself. I figure this says a lot about me. lol.. (not always but it happens quite a bit). Also would like to meet other people with LSE issues. Cheers!!!

scn New to the forum
  • replies: 1

Hello everybody, I've never been on a forum before, and I'm not very good with IT, so I will probably make many mistakes. I've had a quick look around, and feel that this is a good palce to be when you feel completely isolated and alone with your tho... View more

Hello everybody, I've never been on a forum before, and I'm not very good with IT, so I will probably make many mistakes. I've had a quick look around, and feel that this is a good palce to be when you feel completely isolated and alone with your thoughts and feelings. I'm looing forward to being part of a group that accepts me for who I am without judgement. I've had clinical depression on and off for most of my adult life, which started with post natal depression after my second child. I've been fighting this beast a long time with the help of my GP and Psychiatrist, but recently my GP suggested BB as I can't afford anymore therapy. This is the first time I've reached out to anybody else. Hoping I can gain and give out some comfort to the group.