Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

fallenandcantgetup Where to now
  • replies: 3

Hi, I am new to this and don't really know where to start. I have lost everything and I don't know how t get it back. things that I have no control over seem to rip me in 2, It has effected my family to the point of me losing my wife and 4 children. ... View more

Hi, I am new to this and don't really know where to start. I have lost everything and I don't know how t get it back. things that I have no control over seem to rip me in 2, It has effected my family to the point of me losing my wife and 4 children. Being in a lonely place has really opened my eyes to my faults. I don't know how to deal with my aggression. My first reaction is to blow a fuse and that only pushes everyone away from me. There is only so many times you can say sorry and before you know it you have pushed everyone away that loves you.

Harrietta Confused
  • replies: 2

Hi there i think i must be depressed. I find it a daily challenge to want to continue being. Most times i can think optimistically and get some motivation but then there are those other times i know i just don't belong here. I am confused

Hi there i think i must be depressed. I find it a daily challenge to want to continue being. Most times i can think optimistically and get some motivation but then there are those other times i know i just don't belong here. I am confused

Syco Reaching out

Hi I've been sitting at my computer for an hour or so staring at this page that says sign up and I hope it won't take me as long to post this I don't really know how this go's and plz forgive the grammar and there will be no real structure to this as... View more

Hi I've been sitting at my computer for an hour or so staring at this page that says sign up and I hope it won't take me as long to post this I don't really know how this go's and plz forgive the grammar and there will be no real structure to this as it's just a jumble in my head and I'm trying to me sence of it idon't want to sound like I'm just "complaining about my life" that's basically what people tell when I try and talk about this but I need to talk to people and I don't know where else I can go without getting prescribed drugs or being told to suck it up but over the past 6 months I have become incredibly obsessed with the idea that I'm not living in my actually reality everything has changed I used to enjoy my job my partner and my life but I woke up one morning hating everything and everyone I pick fights with my partner over nothing and will keep it going till she walks out I'm driving her away and don't know how to stop it brakes my heart every time she walks out but as soon as I calm down and she comes back I push her away by starting a fight it has got to the stage she has moved out why am I doing this to us.

MR TREV Hello all -New to this and any forum.
  • replies: 1

Hello to everyone, I am a middle aged man almost 50 years old. I have always felt depressed for a long as i can remember, almost no real friends nearby-no close family,single etc. Recently though things have gotten a lot harder, without details i hav... View more

Hello to everyone, I am a middle aged man almost 50 years old. I have always felt depressed for a long as i can remember, almost no real friends nearby-no close family,single etc. Recently though things have gotten a lot harder, without details i have been into hospital and my health has begun to suffer. Once i held off feeling low and down by walking and being in public now that brings on new troubles in its self. The few friends i have (less than fingers on one hand) have their own family's and so on to deal with. The only time i see most of them is when they need something or i offer to cook or buy take away and so on. Also not helping there is my job it involves shift work so when I'm working they are not and visa versa. After multiple visits to various doctors going to see them usually makes me feel even worse because of my recent medical worries. This post i hope will help me to sort out things but even typing it makes me feel sad and very very worthless. To anyone who reads this thank you.

Standford lonely
  • replies: 8

Feeling weak n lonely tday .Have been living a lie and its eating me away

Feeling weak n lonely tday .Have been living a lie and its eating me away

Doneandout Lost

Hi, this is my first post. I have been reading lots of other treads and feel that I have no reason to be depressed. I have supportive family and an amazing group of friends who are always there for me. I have a good job and a beautiful home. BUT I ha... View more

Hi, this is my first post. I have been reading lots of other treads and feel that I have no reason to be depressed. I have supportive family and an amazing group of friends who are always there for me. I have a good job and a beautiful home. BUT I have completely lost myself. I feel i cant continue to put all this nothing s*&t on to my family and friends. Most days I feel so lost and alone. I wonder why do I let myself get so low. Why am I not stronger. I know this is something I need to fix myself - others cant do it for me, but I dont know how. The hole is so deep and I just keep digging it deeper, that I no longer can see the top. Top, bottom it doesnt seem to matter anymore.

true_spirit new to beyond blue community

I would like to be able to talk to others who may be experiencing anxiety. I am currently trying to complete my studies in community services, and I am a mum, but I feel I am snowed under with my studies, and now I have neglected my fitness, have let... View more

I would like to be able to talk to others who may be experiencing anxiety. I am currently trying to complete my studies in community services, and I am a mum, but I feel I am snowed under with my studies, and now I have neglected my fitness, have let myself go and I only leave the house when I have to go to college, or to go the shops, I put less effort into feeling good about myself and don't really bother with image, and don't really go out and enjoy leisure activities fear of other people looking at me because I don't really put much effort into dressing like other people who have a good self esteem. I used to eat super healthy but now I don't seem to care what I eat. Has anyone got any advice on how I can bounce back? depressed, and sad.

Chris87 Hi
  • replies: 18

Just wanted to introduce myself. Male, 29.. (sounds like a dating website) 2 year old son who I love more than anything in this life. Police Officer 6 years, just about to graduate as a lawyer. Had a rough time around December last year, admitted for... View more

Just wanted to introduce myself. Male, 29.. (sounds like a dating website) 2 year old son who I love more than anything in this life. Police Officer 6 years, just about to graduate as a lawyer. Had a rough time around December last year, admitted for a short time. But been suffering my whole life. Nine months with one to two appointments a week with a Psychiatrist later, you can say I know a little about whats going on. I don't listen to diagnoses, and to be honest they are a load of... but only you can figure that out. I have seven 'labels,' from that little book the DSM, but let me tell you when you have a psych that doesn't believe in medication or the way psychiatry is headed, you soon learn where your problems come from. If you really want to know whats going on upstairs and take control of your life, think causes, that's it. What caused the mood, what caused the anxiety? Sometimes the cause is so small or so stupid (perceived) we refuse to acknowledge it, and hence blame it on the label. Toss the labels, lets talk about causes and triggers. I tossed all the medication too, well the majority, but I don't know if I can talk about that here. Anyway, I want to speak with like minded people about life's challenges. Nice to meet you, Chris.

Kaspa First time on Beyond Blue....
  • replies: 18

Hey, I'm Kaspa. I'm 37, a mum, in a de-facto relationship for almost 19 years and have had - in my humble opinion- more than my fair share of drawing the short straw. Every experience has made the woman I am today. While growing up, my ideals were po... View more

Hey, I'm Kaspa. I'm 37, a mum, in a de-facto relationship for almost 19 years and have had - in my humble opinion- more than my fair share of drawing the short straw. Every experience has made the woman I am today. While growing up, my ideals were polar opposites to my life today. I suppose we all have different views on how we'd like to be as an adult but to be so far off has me constantly frowning and asking "why?". I had my first child at 23. Compared to my peers, I was almost a geriatric mum. Unfortunately my mum was born decades too early and had children because it was "expected" or "that's how everyone was back then". Her words. Mum isn't the most maternal and told me more than once that a baby before marriage would be a deal breaker for her. Having our first daughter didn't dissuade her. It wasn't until my. Dad took me to have baby checked out for not meeting certain milestones by 8 months of age. They said she had a genetic muscle wasting disease that can't be cured. 3-5 years they told me. Mums not an ice maiden and this pretty much brought her back into my life until we lost our bub at 3 years old. Every pregnancy my defacto's and I conceive has to be tested. If we left each other it wouldn't be an issue unless we met others that had the same gene. We both have to have it for this to happen. That's my crux issue obviously. It's been 10 yrs but I can still see every detail of her last 24 hours. It's hard for me not to acknowledge her when askd about my kids. Am I supposed to pretend she never existed so others don't feel uncomfortable? Most my friends and family including my defacto thinks I should look at it that way. How? She grew inside me for goodness sake, even mums amongst my friends don't get it. I'm resigned that there won't be many that do but how am I supposed to function when everywhere I turn, I'm told to suck it up or get over it? I was diagnosed with chronic depression and social anxiety last year. I look at my kids and think they deserve so much better than this pathetic feel sorry for me poor excuse of a mother, even my mums lack of affection seems like xmas in comparison. I adore my kids I tell them I love them every day. Having kids saved my life and I'm not going to let anything else ruin our happiness. thats why I'm here. I hope this is the right place to be. I feel like I'm running out of options. thanks for taking the time to read this Kaspa