Welcome and orientation

Welcome! If you’re not sure where to start, that’s OK. We’re keen to know more about you and what you’re looking for on our Forums.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Sophie_M Meet your community champions!
  • replies: 10

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Be... View more

Hi everyone, We wanted to share with you the way that our wonderful Community Champions are here to support you. You may have noticed that a few of our Forums members are labelled ‘Community Champion’. Community Champions are volunteers within the Beyond Blue Forums who: have the time, skills and empathy to support other members regularly; help to welcome new members; are actively engaged members that help set the tone of our community. Our Community Champions are regular contributors to many conversations across the forums. They are a consistent and friendly voice that have committed to sharing their experience and expertise with this community. They are not health care professionals or clinicians. Like you, they have an experience with a mental health challenge or diagnosis – either for themselves or someone they care for. This forum is for people who understand what it feels like and have a lived and living experience of mental health challenges. Our Community Champions help everyone feel comfortable and confident by demonstrating what excellent peer support is all about. Click here to find out more about how you can become a Community Champion! This incredible team are excited to introduce themselves below, and we are sure you’ll see them around the forums in conversations important to you.

Aaronsis HELP..Am I posting in the right section?
  • replies: 10

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried th... View more

Welcome to those who are considering posting for the very first time, welcome. Thought I would repost part of the words that Chris B posted awhile ago, (2014) as I can hear that people are unsure if they are posting in the right section or worried that they are posting "the wrong thing". 1.A good title makes the difference Just like a headline in a newspaper, when scanning the dozens of threads to click into, it’s only natural that people will choose the ones that resonate with them most. A title that entices the reader, or asks a question, is likely to get a better result than something non-descriptive like “Depression” or “I don't know what to do”. If you think you’re not good at choosing titles, leave it till last. Spend time writing your post, then perhaps choose a sentence from what you’ve written as the title. 2.Join in threads that have already been posted We all have our own unique stories, but part of the reason for joining a forum like this one is because you know that you will have a lot in common with others who are posting. Before starting a new thread, have a look through the current topics being discussed and see if there’s a conversation you can join in with. It can be quite common to have a handful of very similar threads happening at any one time, with members seemingly unaware that there are others right there who are going through the same thing. Talking to other members on their threads is a great way of getting yourself known so that when you post a thread of your own, people may respond quicker because they recognize your name. 3.Choose the most appropriate section for your post Many people browse the forums looking for stories specifically to do with pregnancy and parenting, employment, grief, loss, separation etc. Going straight for the “Depression” section may seem like the easiest option, but this section is often the busiest, so your post is more likely to get lost among the threads. Making good use of the different forum sections not only helps keep the forum relevant, but you’re more likely to find others who are going through the same experiences as you. Also, if you're wanting to discuss issues of trauma, abuse, suicidal thoughts or self-harm, it's really important you post in the designated section to avoid triggering others who may not wish to read about these topics. Mostly..just come and chat, we are here for you. Our amazing wizards in the background will see your message ends up in the right spot. Sarah

All discussions

Guest_4643 New member, lonely.
  • replies: 18

Hi everyone, I'm Tayla & I'm 20. I'm new to this BB Forums as of yesterday & someone recommended I post in the welcome thread, so here goes. I'm a bit anxious & still learning to properly use this so please bare with me, my apologies. I made a post o... View more

Hi everyone, I'm Tayla & I'm 20. I'm new to this BB Forums as of yesterday & someone recommended I post in the welcome thread, so here goes. I'm a bit anxious & still learning to properly use this so please bare with me, my apologies. I made a post of my own which I'll link, so please check it out & reply if you can, I'd appreciate it. I live in a small country town in Regional Victoria, it has about 4000 or so people, a town where everyone knows everyone pretty much, except me. I like the scenery (nice walking tracks & a lake) & nice bird life, & its' peaceful, but thats about it really. Some days the loneliness & isolation really gets to me. Everyone is 3-5 hours away & I don't talk to anyone or see anyone. I even joined groups on Facebook for things that I like such as bands, but that can be good & bad since people can be mean unfortunately. I called my local triage & the guy on the phone was quite rude which made me upset since it's my first time contacting a triage. He refused to talk to me & let me come in basically, I don't know why, I was polite & just looking for support. I'm seeing my GP & Psychiatrist who I'm happy with, especially my Psychiatrist. It's a while in between appointments with my Psychiatrist but I understand that he's busy, but it's worth it I suppose. I went to the local Headspace Centre & the manager & group members (I have no idea what the group was supposed to be for, I got nothing at all out of it), made fun of my mental illnesses so I complained & she lost her job, of course I haven't been back & I won't. eHeadspace have also always been rude to me as in pushing me away & so forth. I understand they have lots of people to talk to but that's unacceptable. My Psychiatrist agrees with all of this. I just have my parents which yes, they're supportive. I don't have any friends, I see everyone else out with friends & I wish I had that even doing basic things like watching TV together. I can't study for a few reasons because it's super expensive for one, & the free courses I found it says you need certain things & had to a previous course etc. I don't know why. I've asked everywhere here for jobs, volunteering etc. Everyone says no, I've asked in person & said I'm willing to learn. The groups here such as sewing, etc. I'm told are for people in their 40s, dunno why. I feel so discriminated against. I'm doing my best & everything I can, it's so hard. I colour in, listen to music & walk my dog. Please reply, I'd appreciate it a lot.

Pinkwhite Empty
  • replies: 5

Hi i haven't posted in a while. I've got myself a job one day a week and I volunteer as well. But I can't be bothered to go for a walk I need to put color in my hair but can't be bothered. All I eat is biscuits and junk. Can anyone relate to how I'm ... View more

Hi i haven't posted in a while. I've got myself a job one day a week and I volunteer as well. But I can't be bothered to go for a walk I need to put color in my hair but can't be bothered. All I eat is biscuits and junk. Can anyone relate to how I'm feeling. I feel so empty.

peacock Anxiety at work
  • replies: 6

Hello, I’m having a lot of anxiety about my workplace. I’ve been at my job for nine months and it hasn’t been the best experience. My manager ignores me and I don’t have a lot to do. I’ve just been told that my job is being phased out but they have a... View more

Hello, I’m having a lot of anxiety about my workplace. I’ve been at my job for nine months and it hasn’t been the best experience. My manager ignores me and I don’t have a lot to do. I’ve just been told that my job is being phased out but they have assured me they will find me another role within the organisation. I’m feeling very disappointed and stressed about this and have been very unsettled. I feel like just resigning but not sure this is a good idea.

ElectricBlue Never done anything like this before...
  • replies: 1

Hi all, So obviously I'm new here. What brought me here was the realisation that my mum (and quite probably my dad too) is a narcissist. I mean full blown, psychological disorder stuff.. I've always just thought it was "her" and what she was like but... View more

Hi all, So obviously I'm new here. What brought me here was the realisation that my mum (and quite probably my dad too) is a narcissist. I mean full blown, psychological disorder stuff.. I've always just thought it was "her" and what she was like but after a massive argument with her (the only proper one we've ever really had) and doing some research I now know why she is the way she is but it's been hard to accept. Learning about it has made me look back at my whole life and it explains a lot but has made me extremely emotional and sad and questioning my whole childhood. I guess I just needed a place to vent and maybe get some support through all this. My husband is extremely supportive but sometimes it's easier to get a non-bias viewpoint. Plus I want home time to be positive as we have a nearly 1 year old so I don't want to be sitting down talking about sad things all the time rather than enjoy every moment with them both. Anyway, I could go on forever but that's me. Thanks for this outlet! I'm hoping it helps.

Brose1706 A bit about me

Hi I am Bethany-Rose, I am 13 years old and I have been struggling with my anxiety and depression for just under a year and it has been particularly hard since before this I was a very bright and cheery girl. I have been struggling with medical probl... View more

Hi I am Bethany-Rose, I am 13 years old and I have been struggling with my anxiety and depression for just under a year and it has been particularly hard since before this I was a very bright and cheery girl. I have been struggling with medical problems that nobody has found an answer for and it is really frustrating. The doctors end up saying that everything I am experiencing is psychological. I have had cancer before but that never dragged me down. So all of this is very annoying to say the least. I don’t want to attend school unless I get to see a teacher that makes my day so much better and I don’t want to see my friends because I feel like I can’t be myself around them. This is very difficult to deal with considering that I should be able to be myself around my friends. I have come onto beyond blue via the recommendation of my amazing psychologist ☺️. I hope I can find new coping methods with all of this stuff and be reassured that I am not alone in this battle. thank you for taking the time to listen to me. -Beth

Ally_1994 Hello, first time posting
  • replies: 2

I'm not sure what exactly i am supposed to write here but i guess this is what has been bothering me the most. I have recently gained custody of my step daughter, she will be 3 this weekend. She has a lot of health issues that i have been busy diagno... View more

I'm not sure what exactly i am supposed to write here but i guess this is what has been bothering me the most. I have recently gained custody of my step daughter, she will be 3 this weekend. She has a lot of health issues that i have been busy diagnosing and treating, such as her extensive diet due to allergies, speech impairment and dental work. She is toilet training at the moment as well and has recently stopped her day nap. I also have a 6yo son who has been struggling with her being with us fulltime and having to share me with her, along with a lot of time and energy spent on her for her needs. He also comes with his own issues that we are trying to get sorted as he may have ODD. He is constantly in trouble at school and is somewhat challenging at home. I love my kids endlessly but lately I have not enjoyed being a mother, I am exhausted and i just can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have gone to the doctor about all of this and she is helping me with a mental health plan, so fingers crossed i start to feel myself again soon. anyone else is a similar boat i would love to hear from you.

DedicatedToHealth So Grateful for Beyond Blue
  • replies: 12

Firstly, best wishes to all who are struggling, my heart is with you. I've been hit with with bad news and my fragility has crushed me. I was already dealing ok with long term illness worries, social isolation but having no friends, no support and no... View more

Firstly, best wishes to all who are struggling, my heart is with you. I've been hit with with bad news and my fragility has crushed me. I was already dealing ok with long term illness worries, social isolation but having no friends, no support and non stop racing anxiety that suddenly appeared made me turn to the people who understand my circumstances. i had coped with so much until my last strength was used. Not a nice feeling and certainly worse dealing with it on my own. My family are beautiful but not best placed to support me, yet again, it's times like this I need a friendly place to be open about my struggles. Thank goodness for BB.

AlexandraR Husband left us for family friend
  • replies: 6

Six years ago, my sons and myself systematically contracted a glandular fever like virus which subsequently developed into ME/CFS. My husband found it difficult to understand, and pressured us to try harder which caused many arguments. About 18 month... View more

Six years ago, my sons and myself systematically contracted a glandular fever like virus which subsequently developed into ME/CFS. My husband found it difficult to understand, and pressured us to try harder which caused many arguments. About 18 months ago, husband decided to move out into temporary accommodation because he wasn’t coping. He continued to call in and and take boys to appointments as I was too unwell to do so. He continued his active social life and work travel, while we struggled with the most basic demands of daily living. On weekend after Christmas 2019, he took off camping with friends when he was supposed to be spending time with boys and give me a break. When he came back, he revealed to me he had been away with the widow of his best friend (friend of mine) and they had apparently been on a few dates earlier. I was a mess, especially as he had never discussed separation was permanent. In weeks following this, he revealed relationship had been going on for 8 months, and they had strong feelings; she had revealed her feelings for him four months after her husband passed away in Oct. 2017. My husband is still seeing her despite saying how sorry he is that he has hurt us all. At my suggestion - when he was crying & humble - he finally organised to see a psychologist next month to help him make sense of his actions. I have stopped him from dropping in here at home, but he can see boys outside of the home anytime. He misses the boys, but then repeated the same hurtful action of going away with his gf and friends this past long weekend, when he could have been spending time with the boys. I’m struggling to pick myself up physically and emotionally and be strong for the boys (16 & 14). My husband doesn’t want us to make any decisions regarding divorce until he sees psychologist, but I am so hurt and resentful, and feel I need to do something to move on, although not sure I have strength to deal with added burden of legal proceedings. I am unable to work due to my illness. I have great family support but am quite isolated due to the nature of illness. I was on brink of a nervous breakdown when all was revealed, but with help from my sister, 16 year old son and psychiatrist, narrowly escaped falling down the rabbit hole. Not sure how to prepare myself to cope with pain &heartache that is inevitably going to keep coming when we least expect it.

DeeJay077 A career in men's mental health. Where to start?
  • replies: 4

Howdy all, I'm new to the Forum and thought this would be the right place to get some direction. I am 42 years old, a tradesman who has worked his way up to an office position, but for a long time i have felt there was supposed to be a different plan... View more

Howdy all, I'm new to the Forum and thought this would be the right place to get some direction. I am 42 years old, a tradesman who has worked his way up to an office position, but for a long time i have felt there was supposed to be a different plan for me. I am compasionate by nature, lending an ear to friends who are in an emotional spot of bother fills my heart. I am a bloke who has a knack for getting men to express their feelings to me which may not have been possible to them in the past. My question is, what is the best way to go about looking into courses that could lead me to employment in helping people with mental health? Thanks in advance.

Stella85 New to this.

I'm not in a good headspace currently again, and don't want to be around people. My brother died 4 years ago, so naturally I grieved his loss. I also lost my pregnancy 72 hours after losing my brother. I went into a deep depression, but became pregna... View more

I'm not in a good headspace currently again, and don't want to be around people. My brother died 4 years ago, so naturally I grieved his loss. I also lost my pregnancy 72 hours after losing my brother. I went into a deep depression, but became pregnant again with my son, my 5th child, who just turned 3 today. I was happy when he was born, but had a bit of PPD for 2 weeks, which I put down to not having my brother around. I became pregnant 10 months later with my 6th child. My partner and I were having some issues with his ex and he didn't want another baby, and wanted a termination after I told him I was pregnant. I began to resent him, and drift from him. I continued with my pregnancy, told him I'll give birth without him then and not to bother. He was stressing about his ex and our house (they had purchased it together, and she wanted a large buyout figure to get herself out of her own debts she had acquired over 10 years since they separated in 2007). My mother was on my back about contraception, which I can do with the horrible side effects, so I reluctantly agreed to a tubal ligation to please them. 2 days after having my son by cesarean and tubal, I went into deep depression and have been fighting it since. I want a reversal and my parter wants it to and hates himself for how he acted when I told him I was pregnant and what the tubal has done to me. I've started my RN grad year and recently lost a friend to suicide, so added stress isn't helping. Now with the prospect of elective surgery being postponed due to COVID19, I've just crumbled into a heap, crying and hating myself, my partner and the world. I just wsnt to be happy again and feel like my old self, but I don't believe that will ever happen again. Shouldn't be laying here crying my eyes out and in a mess. Ive kept it at bay lately, but could feel it coming over the past week, reaching it's point last night and being pushed over today.