FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Are you in poverty?

Zovy
Community Member
My mental illness left me in poverty. Has anyone else experienced this?
3 Replies 3

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

hi zovy - i have

after a long time saving up and living responsibilly, i got ill and tried to seek help, which was expensive and unhelpful - and cost me a lot of time and money.
Finding affordable accomadation was hard and i moved a lot and lost money there too.
Having no one to help was expensive... being isolated was expensive... trying to study and get a degree was expensive...MH is expensive.

blondguy
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Zovy

Welcome to the forums and for having the courage to post too

I understand your situation as I had to apply for charity from a local body in Victoria called 'The Good Shepard' a few years ago. If you wish to elaborate on your symptoms/situation you are always welcome as the forums are a safe and non judgmental place for us to post

my kind thoughts for your well being

Paul

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Zovy, yes it left me broke, struggling to pay off 4 credit cards, a car and half the mortgage, plus utilities, insurance, that's when I went over to Anglicare who stopped all the annoying phone calls and the letters from the creditors.

When our farm was sold due to the divorce I could pay everything off.

One point was when the creditor sold the debt to a 'debt collector' and let's say the amount was for $4000 the debt collector would say if yu can pay it off now, we'll accept $2500 or less as a final payment, so eep that in mind.

The amount may differ from case to case and could well be $1500.

Best wishes.

Geoff.