FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Has anyone tried non-standard anti-anxiety medications?

Libjane
Community Member
My father was proscribed a  a medication used to treat epilepsy, neuropathic pain, fibromyalgia, restless leg syndrome, and generalized anxiety disorder for pain. He gave me a few for some pain I was having and I found the effect on my anxiety to be amazing. But I see in Australia it is not used as an anti anxiety! Anyone had similar experiences?
2 Replies 2

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, welcome

Firstly I must point out, to protect you and readers, that it is highly in advisable to take anyone else’s medication. If you do want to always consult your GP.

I found conquering anxiety needed a multi pronged approach.

google

beyondblue topic anxiety, how I eliminated it

TonyWK

jess334
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni
Hi Libjane,

Yes I found success battling my anxiety for years using a natural herbal supplement.

A lot of pain medications include a relaxation/ sedation effect. However there can be real and serious side effects for taking these medications long term and they can also be addictive.

However there are other sedative medications that are recommended for use in long term anxiety issues. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor for an alternative?

Kind thoughts, Jess