FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping with coming off strong medication

Guest_3712
Community Member

Hi all,

Its been a long time since I posted here but I've never forgotten the support I received during some very difficult times. Without going into a lot of details I have had major depression and anxiety for a number of years. Several admissions to psych hospitals, countless medication addictions and ongoing therapy and still I'm not "well".

I have tried to live a 'normal' life these last couple of years, as possible as that is while still heavily medicated, I've had a job ( retrenched before Christmas) , seen my daughter marry and the birth of my first grandchild- all good for sure.

But the price for this normality is that to function I have to take a lot of medication. But no more. I decided a week ago I cant live in this twilight world any longer and stopped one of my meds that left me so zoned out I could only take it at night or if I knew I wasn't go anywhere. not to mention the 30 plus kgs I've put on.

I have a supportive psych who I see regularly and while he wasn't happy I stopped without talking to him first he understands my need to try and gain back some control of my life.

Dear Readers I know I'm doing the right thing, but I have been on these meds for so long I'm scared I wont be able to hang in there. Its not my first time coming off strong medication but before I was in hospital and it was still very hard. I can feel some of the old anxieties creeping back and that dark cloak of depression I have managed to kept above my head, is beginning to slip further over my shoulders.

If anyone has gone through similar experience I would appreciate any support or advice.

Stressless

51 Replies 51

Ken1
Community Member

You seem to be doing really well Stressless, despite everything you're trying to deal with! Between staying off your meds and talking yourself out of a panic attack, you're a real trouper 🙂

Why do you think you couldn't apply that thinking to other areas of your life?

Guest_3712
Community Member

Hi Ken1

Thanks for the cheer squad

I had to think a bit about why I couldn't apply my positive self talk to other things . The only thing I could come up with is that coming off meds and stopping a panic attack are actual physical things that I can see direct results from.

I have always been results driven and need to see immediate outcomes from my actions, besides these two things are what I have direct control over. I can stop the meds. I can stop the panic attacks.

The other stuff, there are too many variables. A lot depends on what other people think, how they react etc etc .This will impact how I cope with these disclosures. I have found in the past being honest is not always the best way to go. A lot of people get hurt , including me.

Not sure if any of this makes sense

Take Care

Stressless