FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Bad news today - not much anyone can do to help with my kind of depression

Shock
Community Member

Hi all,

I dont know why I am bothering writing this. I am officially defeated. Talking to a doctor in the mental health section of the hospital today they seem to think there is nothing more to be done. They have all agreed anti-depressants dont work. The only thing they suggest is talking about it, which just doesnt get through to me. 

Welp, I dont have anything I can do now cept talk about it which doesnt really work for me. 

I guess, like any illness, you win some, you lose some. I guess I was unlucky enough to lose this time.

3 Replies 3

Jo3
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Shock

There has to be something to help you.  What therapy have you tried? DBT, CBT, 

Why are they saying that the meds don't work.

Personally I find that talking is helping even though it is very hard to openly and honestly talk about things.  But I know that everyone is different and talking can be very difficult thing to do.

No, Shock you can't just accept that there is nothing that will work for you - there has to be something.

I hope that others on here can help you.

Pls take care

Jo

Dennis38
Community Member

Hey Shock,

First let me tell you a little story then I will get to the point so bear with me if you will.

In 2000 I was run over by a car, shattered my left leg in 7 to 12 places, turned the lower bone in my left leg damn near to dust, docs words not mine, blew out my right knee, bruised lung and kidney, and a crap load of nerve and circulation damage to my legs. Had to have two rods put in the left leg, a bolt in the left hip to keep the leg in its socket, a steel plate in my right knee. The docs told me it would take me at least a year and half before I was able to walk again. And they said it would be a small miracle if I pulled that off as they said it would be more realistic if it took me 3 years ( dad told me that part the other day when I was on the phone with him as I do not remember that part). I was up and walking and out of that dang wheel chair in 8 months. With in a Year and a half I was walking with a cane much to the doctors surprise.

The point that I am getting to is that the doctors do not know everything they are human and they do screw up from time to time. So what if the anti-depressants don't work there are still a lot of options out there just keep moving forward that is the biggest lesion I have learned with this demon, one foot in front of the other, and once in a while you may have to move a little sideways. Talking helps some times but what is the most important is listening, both to yourself and to those around you, its hard to listen but that is part of the key I think to winning this fight, is not only talking but listening...

Anyways don't give up there are still options out there you just have to duck your head, and keep swinging for the fences!!

Hope you have a better tomorrow

Dennis

Neil_1
Community Member

Hi Shock   T

hank you so much for posting this.  This illness will NOT beat you.  I’m really disappointed for you for the recent treatment you received in the hospital – as I am sure that you are also.  

Can we please go back a couple of steps here though?  The doctor that you spoke to?  Is he your normal doctor or someone referred to you by the mental health section?  

May I ask if you’ve tried the on-line options on this website that Beyond Blue have for practising GP’s, as each one of them is fully trained in mental health issues and from seeing one of them, they will be able to determine an appropriate psych/counsellor from your appointment. 

I won’t write much more on this at this stage as I’m so sorry, but I can’t really remember your history and this may have been something that you have already tried – but I sure hope not.  

I hope you can get back to us.  

Kind regards  

Neil