FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Anxiety Support groups experience

Stormgrl101
Community Member

hi all

my psychologist has recommended I research the GROW support group and also another (I'm in S.A.) 

I was wondering if anyone had any experience in these sort of groups? I don't know what to expect and I know I'd probably get into a high anxious state about going and whether or not you are expected to participate in discussions and things or if it would be okay to observe?

I would like to be able to meet some likeminded people who actually understand. I did have a friend but she cut me off and decided she was fine without me. Now I am friend-less but my anxiety makes everything hard, especially with the whole making friends thing.

1 Reply 1

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi,

Long time ago 1978 I went to a GROW group. GROW means "greater religions of the world" it isnt religion in your face though. It helped me to an extent.

Personally I couldnt sit amongst 12 other depressive people listening to their issues. This forum is totally different because I can stop reading and stop my input anytime I like....I have control. The other thing is (with me) is that some depressive people dont listen to advice and go round in circles not getting anywhere. I cant tolerate that. So these sort of issues are for you to judge if they are ok for you.

I'd try as many groups as you can. As far as friends go people with mental instability issues do lose friends but over time they flock amongst their own. A far better quality friend comes along.

In my experience I now have two types of friend. One type shares our struggles and personal stuff, the other shares fun only. My motoring club is "fun only", they dont want to hear personal issues.

Hope that helps.   Tony WK