FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Interactions with health professionals

Gem17
Community Member

I've recently had some negative interactions with health professionals, mostly in the emergency department of the hospital, related to my mental health and specifically around SH. These have left me feeling quite traumatised. I am doing better now as I have spoken to my psychologist about these experiences but I am wondering if anyone else has had these experiences? It was quite upsetting because it took a lot of courage to seek help when I needed it and to be that vulnerable and then made to feel like a waste of time and space was hard.

23 Replies 23

feralchik
Community Member
Hi Gem17, sorry for my delay in answering you. I didn't seem to get any notification that you had replied to my post and I was sort of expecting I would if you replied. I am sort of not really regular on here. I have just sort of been drifting in and out I suppose of the forums the last few weeks. I have been feeling a bit low myself, but not at a suicidal point at all, but I have been there in the past. I am really sorry to hear of your experience and the way you are feeling at the moment.. It is really difficult I know. All I can say I think is just keep reaching out for support when you feel you need it. I think you will find that some health professionals, counsellors are better or more suited to you than others, and have more understanding than others. If you feel you are really frightened you will do something - talk to someone. I have found lifeline helpful too, but again you may not feel understood by everyone on there either. The Suicide call back service is another good one. I am sure the number is listed on here or if you just google it. It will come up. I struggled with suicidal thoughts for a long time, like over several years and never thought I would be free of them and that I would succumb to them. Its a horrible dark and painful place to be in. You may not feel you will ever be free, but things can change and get better. I am not sure in the finish what made them finally leave for me. It may have been finding the right medication, or maybe it was just time and a realisation that no matter how much a part of me wanted to die, or thought I should, I just couldn't. I have had now several years of being really free of them and the depression or whatever it was that was wrong with me. I did spend a number of times in hospital, even one stint for a few months once, but like I said being in the hospital, especially the public system may not be the best solution for everyone. I don't know now if sometimes that made me feel worse, but it may have been my shame and feeling stigma with being in a mental hosptial, also I have social anxiety quite bad and live alone, so it was somewhat confronting I suppose being surrounded by people and having to talk to so many people, like doctors and nurses etc. But if you really are feeling you are going to hurt yourself, it is the safest place to be if you have no other alternatives and I found most of the staff in the actual hospital part good but again you can have mixed experiences.. Take care.

Gem17
Community Member

Hi feralchik,

Thank you again for your response. It sounds like you've had some varied experiences, some positive and some not so much.

It's hard knowing that if I get to the point where I don't feel safe that I will ultimately need to take myself back to the hospital where I end up feeling worse, but am at least safe. I'm hoping all the work I'm putting in with therapists will mean I don't end up feeling like that again!

Chris_Tas
Community Member

I've been hospital and in custody many times this year.

The front line have been absolutely amazing.

However in hospital I've been treated very poorly and belittled.

I accept it but please know the people treating you are humans, not robots.

Poor help is inevitable and I was told last time I'm "just a drink loser" yet I'm qualified in Law.

Try to focus on how you feel not how others think.

I'm no expert it simply helped me last few times in hospital.

Miiia
Community Member
I attempted suicide about 10 years ago & the police & paramedics who attended were supportive & amazing but one nurse in ED was so horrible & made me feel so insignificant, stupid & not worth her precious nursing time. She had just inserted a cannula for the drugs & said to me "you do realise we have really sick patients who need these beds" & rushed off to attend to an incoming accident patient. I was already feeling like I wish I had died, so I chewed off the cannula, grabbed my clothes & ran to the nearest bathroom to get changed into my clothes. I calmly walked out the front entrance (at 1am) & rushed to my car. I drove around for hours not knowing the police were searching for me. When I arrived home around 3 hours later, the police were waiting to take me back to hospital. I was scheduled into ICU and had a guard placed outside my room for 2 days. If that nurse had NOT been such a callous, cold hearted "caring nurse", I would have obviously stayed. I never reported the incident with her. I have had many other suicide attempts since & the nursing staff have been amazing. Just wish my own GP cared about me. When I told him a year ago, I wanted to suicide, he just laughed. What is wrong with these "health care professionals" ??? Maybe my GP is hoping my next suicide attempt will succeed so he will finally be free of another annoying mental health nut case. (I only refer to myself as that so please don't take offense).

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Miiia,

Time fpr a mew GP? I would say so. It can be hard to find a GP who has a specific interest in the mental health of their patients, but they are out there. Many GP practices have their own websites, so you could google the practice name & often they also have a list of the GPs working there,& a little about each & what areas of medicine theyhave an interest in. That could steer you in the right direction.

People living near you may go to the same gP's practice & see other GPs. You could maybe talk to these people & find out how they are treated by their GPs, & get some sort of idea from that.

Mostly, you just have to keep trying until you find one who seems to care & who will have time for you. & hope they don't leave the practice!

I've had that happen before.

Finally I do think I've found a pretty good GP. It's been so long, I'd wondered if it's me that has the problem, but no, some of them really do have a problem when it comes to mental health issues.

mmMekitty

Miiia
Community Member

Hello mmMeKitty,

Thanks for your reply. I only go to this GP because he does "walk ins" at 6.30am and due to my chronic anxiety & depression, I arrive at his surgery at 5.30am so I am his first patient. I hate being seen in public. I also have a disfiguring disease which I am so self conscious of & he is fully aware of this. He is fairly easy to get repeat scripts off so that's the main reason I go to him.

Where I live it is so hard to get in to see a new GP anyway. Better the devil you know and all that. I also never leave my home unless its at 7am for food for my little dog or the chemist at 8am for prescribed drugs otherwise I stay home, secluded from everyone. I never answer my front door if the doorbell rings or answer my phone unless I know who is calling.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. Not sure I'll be around long enough to really be concerned about anything to do with life. My sister is calling my name. Hugs xxx

Hello Chris_Tas, in all that's been said I to have been called 'just a drink loser' in those terms and many other sayings by both psych's and family/friends which only exemplifies the problem.

The trouble with this is when you are referred to as being like this no medication (AD) will be prescribed, so it's a catch-22.

Take care.

Geoff.

mmMekitty
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello Miiia,

Given the last of your last sentence s post, "...Not sure I'll be around long enough to really be concerned about anything to do with life. My sister is calling my name.

...", I need to ask, are you at risk of harming yourself?

If you are at immediate ristk of harming yourself, you need to call 000.

Otherwise, would you call BB's own counselling service, on:

1300 22 46 36 please?

mmMekitty

Chris_Tas
Community Member

I read your entire post and I completely understand and sympathise.

Nurses are usually great imo but I've had a few who made my situation much (MUCH) worse with the "beds are for sick people not you".

I refuse now to listen to it and I encourage you to listen to better people only and do the same (if you can)

Chris

I'm a very direct but person.

If you don't get the help you need, demand it.

Nurses and Drs just another day and couldn't care less.