FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Mental Illness Podcasts - Suggestions, thoughts and recommendations.

Jessbph
Community Member

My Mum Says My Memoir Is A Lie - Rosie Waterland Podcast. Anyone listened to it? Thoughts?

This podcast was an absolute emotional rollercoaster and hit some very heavy topics. Has anyone listened to it and have any thoughts?

How did everything land for you? I thought about it for days on end. Would love to hear anyone else's opinions or any other podcast recommendations.

14 Replies 14

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear Jessbph~

I'm afraid I've not listened to Rosie Waterland's podcast, though now you have mentioned it I'll have a listen

I find two from the ABC, while more general, do give a good overview of MH and other issues: "All In The Mind" with Lynne Malcolm and "The Health Report" with Dr Norman Swan.

Dealing with specific issues such as boundaries I like Brené Brown who talks on her website, TED and YouTube.

Thanks for the new 'cast to try

Croix

romantic_thi3f
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi!

Jessbph - I'm only seeing this post now. Is this still something you're grappling with? If it is I'll give it a listen and try and offer some support! If not though..

I haven't listened to podcasts in a while but I do have some favourites -

- All in the mind (yes Croix! It's great!)

- The one you feed - it's a little on the spiritual side but there's some great takeaways and topics on mental health. A lot of the things that come up are anxiety, mindfulness, meditation, depression, listening, stress, work, being kind to yourself..

- Invisibilia - basically all the things we can't see. Some of the shows have talked about fear, emotions, thoughts and personalities.

- The Good life project - this one can be a little hit and miss for me, but there are some great interviews. Some of the self-help gurus who have been on the show include Geneen Roth, Byron Katie, Glennon Doyle, Elizabeth Gilbert, Danielle LaPorte, Sharon Salzberg and Arianna Huffington

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Romantic Thief,

I'm resusitating this old thread. Maybe I'm a bit too keen lol? the last podcast you listed sounds amazing... i want to check it out.... ! I've listened a bit to the earlier mentioned one by Rosie Waterland too - she also has two amazing memoirs that deal with mental health. Anyone reading/listening to any good mental health media??

Stay safe all

Hi Sleepy21,

Aha! It's a good time to listen to podcasts 🙂

Oh gosh there are so many now, that post I made was in 2018 and I feel like the choice we have is almost overwhelming! When you say mental health media - are you referring to others listening to podcasts or another type of media (which one)?

rt

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi RomanticThief!

yes definitely a good time for podcasts!
i was imagining podcasts or books or even movies - dealing with mental health.

There's a very warts and all book called So Sad Today which deals with addiction and depression, and my friend mentioned a Mama Mia podcast with the writer Marion Keyes about her battles with depression.

What have you been listening to these days, Thief? Any good entertainment in the podcast/movie/book world as well?

xx Vanessa

Croix
Community Champion
Community Champion

Dear All~

Beyond Blue is starting its own series of podcasts

The first one is here with signup details for the series too:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/not-alone

Croix

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member
Checking it out now....Mark Fennel is great.
What a good idea. I love hearing /reading and listening to people's lived experience

Guest_1643
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

o wow thanks Croix for the podcasts it's an amazing story

recommended especially for mental health for men

and barriers stopping men from getting help

(i'm a woman but loving it also...) very interesting Beyond Blue podcast1

Hi Vanessa and a wave to Croix!

Croix - thank you for sharing the new podcast!

Vanessa -

Podcast wise, I haven't listened to nearly as much as I used to. The last couple I've listened to are Superhero Therapy - which talks about lots of movies/tv shows/comics from a therapy context - like there was one about The Good Place talking about the psychology of the afterlife, or Good Omens with what it means to be good/evil. and the other podcast is 'Where should we begin?' by Esther Perel. She's a psychotherapist and the podcasts are basically listening in on sessions! I'm a bit of a therapy nerd so these have to be my two favourites.

Books - Eyes too dry by Alice Chopkin. This one is a graphic novel of her own experiences with depression and suicide. It was a tough read because I resonated with it but I also really enjoyed it. The other one was called The ghost garden by Susan Doherty. That one is about schizophrenia- not the easiest read but I also loved it too.

Movies - totally stuck. I haven't seen many movies lately and the ones I've seen I would not recommend! I think there's a couple of movie threads on here though if you want general ideas!

Okay - this post is getting long now! 🙂 What are your own recommendations?

rt