FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

What does everyone think?????

justaburden
Community Member
He and I reconnected on FB last year. We dated over 35 years ago. Both been married , divorced, etc. Both had similar health issues and depression. We have each had some awful relationship issues which have left each of us jaded and lacking faith and trust. WE live in different cities but have caught up a few times in the last 12 months. All was progressing nice and slowly and he was ready to move across the country to be closer, but then chickened out. I then got a message to say that he felt he was no good to anyone anymore and was better off on his own and that I should move on. I thought about it for a while, but wrote to him to let him know that I thought it was his depression that was influencing his decisions and that I was not going anywhere and would still be here for him. Things went quiet for a few weeks then there was some idle chatter via messages now and then. But today I got a message from him to say that he was coming to my city to apply for a job (the one he was previously going to do to move to my city when he chickened out). I am quietly optimistic but trying to play it cool. I am keen to know what others think. I had said in my letter to him that I felt moving here would be beneficial to him as there are more opportunities for him and he has all his siblings here. He comes from a large family. In one way I am overjoyed, but trying to play it cool and not get my hopes up. What do others think?
12 Replies 12

Hey, sorry to hear you are going through your own personal issues. I'm glad you have family and friends around, but if you want to talk here, feel free.

Hi stormcloudz

Well he did the medical for another job back where he lives. He failed the drug test again. Its a legal drug on prescription which is obviously staying in his system for a long time. But I do wonder if he is still taking it. He said it doesnt matter that he didnt get the job, but I really dont believe that. I suspect he might be feeling a bit of a failure and embarrassed, so he is being stoic by saying it doesnt matter. Again he implied that I would be better off with someone who is "normal". Again, I said I am not going anywhere, and I am there for him. I explained that he has been helpful to me even if he doesnt realise it. And again, I gently suggested that moving over here would be very beneficial to him. I am trying to give him some space and not be too overbearing. But I have also been honest with him about what I think and how I feel about him.

I also have issues that I have to address in my personal life. I have anxiety but nowhere near as sever as his depression. The difference though is I have my job, family and friends around me. He is on his own. It is a recipe for doom and gloom. He is an intelligent man and surely he can see that difference of when he was over here.

I am getting closer to sorting out my issues, but I do feel really unsure about what will become of this relationship. I go from being hopeful to wondering if things will ever work out. I can lead a horse to water......as they say.

Thank you for listening to me.

I can see why you are feeling unsure - there's a couple of confusing things there. Maybe he is conflicted about a move.