FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Relationship breakup

Thewonderer
Community Member

Hello..
I am new to this and am writing in the hopes that maybe someone out there will respond..
I have battled with depression for the last 5 years due to failed relationships. It all started when my ex fiance left me for someone else and through facebook I realised he was cheating on me and ended up getting the girl pregnant. They are married now with two kids... Somehow I have managed to get past all of that betrayal and pain. A few years later I met someone who I thought was so incredible. Understood me, valued me and put me first. However later I realised he was quite selfish and that he changed a lot from the person he was in the beginning with me. He isnt a bad person, but i guess still young and immature. We broke up about 7months ago after a serious relationship, talking about marriage and a life together.. and yesterday I found out he is moving to the US with his new of a few months girlfriend. I am shattered. I just cannot fathom how I ended up in a very similar predicament once again. I feel so much pain, I just cant handle it anymore my heart feels like its going to burst. I am a student and have lost all interest in my studies. I can't focus and there are many moments I feel like I cant go on. I feel like it sounds so stupid and that there are people out there with so much more pain they deal with.. but I just don't know how I will get through this one. I have a very supportive family and circle of friends and I love them for always looking out for me, so I feel blessed for that. Yet right now, I feel so lost and downtrodden. 
I don't know who will care to read this, but perhaps knowing I have put this out there maybe someone who also feels this way will know they aren't alone. 
I haven't said a word to anyone for two days, i just cant speak. So I came here. 
Thank you for reading. 

10 Replies 10

Neil_1
Community Member

Dear Wonderer

Great to hear back from you and for your recent update on things.

I’m so pleased that you’ve commenced on the anti-depressants and that you are starting to feel like your old self again – possibly due to the meds to a degree, but also, could well be that the ex is quite out of the picture (not fully, but damn close).

Yes yes, question his motives IF, and ONLY IF, you are going to think along those lines (ie:  think of him), because I think for the betterment of you for the future is to remove any and all traces of him from your life.

You haven’t heard from him since January – from my perspective, that’s how I’d leave it too.   I think any contact whatsoever could have potential to turn your progress right around – I see no positive “pro’s” for any contact with him (be it birthday, be it him leaving for good, etc).  I see only con’s.   But really these are my thoughts on this and you need to run with what you feel is right.    I think what is important is that you also said that you tried to end on good terms, despite all that he did – which speaks volumes to me about the kind, wonderful, sensitive person that YOU are.

And Green Day’s song sums it up beautifully, as you also wrote:  “Good Riddance”, although I don’t think it was the “Time of your life”.

Again great to hear back from you, and hope to hear again from you.

Kind regards

Neil