FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping with worsening trauma

G12345
Community Member
My trauma follows me wherever I go I try to escape but I feel trapped I haven’t used forums in a while my trauma still affects me and it still hurts
4 Replies 4

Sophie_M
Hi G12345,

We're sorry to hear you're dealing with worsening trauma. Please know that the forums and our lovely community are here for you, and it’s really good that you could share this here.

If you'd like to talk it through with someone, you can talk to Blue Knot about this on 1300 657 380, every day between 9-5 (AEST). Their counsellors are experienced in working with people who have experienced complex trauma. They also have some resources on their website which could be useful to visit, particularly the pages on Survivors Self Care. The Beyond Blue helpline is here for you as well, on 1300 22 4636, or via our webchat or email here. It can make a real difference having someone to talk to especially in moments of distress. 

Thank you again for your courage and strength in sharing your story. It might take some time for our kind community to spot your post, but we’re sure they will soon be here to offer their support and understanding. It might be helpful if you shared a bit more about what's going on, or what you're hoping to hear from the community, maybe you were hoping to hear what  coping techniques others have found helpful when in a triggered state. 

Kind regards,

Sophie M

Megs14
Community Member

I’ve learnt through my recovery journey that trauma is healed slowly and to heal you must first accept the uncomfortable feelings and embrace them. I’ve learnt the difference between guilt and shame and once you understand this it certainly makes things a little easier. Shame is what you feel if you bury the trauma and the subsequent lies you tell yourself that your not good enough and your whole self is wrong and your a terrible person. Guilt is the feeling you have when you do or have done something wrong and want the chance to rectify it and feel empathetic. The thing is wrong not the person.
The brain lies, the overthinking is normal but the feeding into this is the hard part to let go, if you just say to yourself ok hello thought and move on to the activity you were doing it’s just that a thought. Feel it when it happens then yell or scream or cry till your red in the face if you have too, release the shame. Then practice some self care. Meditation, mindfulness, journaling, nature walk or something you find relaxing, could be knitting or folding laundry. Read, watch you tube videos or listen to podcasts about mental health specifically trauma and shame related. We don’t have to carry this around forever it’s not a sentence. It’s hard hard work and sometimes feels like it’s too much but its about finding the real authentic you in all this. Your discovering yourself for the first time and that’s amazing.

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello G12345, welcome back and a previous trauma can certainly unsettle you, especially if you haven't had the help you need to cope with it.

If you like, please get back to us and tell us a little more because we want to help you.

Geoff.

G12345
Community Member
I try to fight it but it doesn’t let me win and I’m trying with psychology to try and fight it back