FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Lack of motivation and no interest

Rosaki
Community Member

Hi. I got diagnosed with depression a few years ago and quit university after year one in the UK due to eating disorders and depression. Because of this, most of my friends have graduated. I started university again in Australia last year. 

As some of you may have noticed universities recently started semester one, and I had no motivation to study or do the required readings. I just want to lay on my bed and do nothing. I have no passion for doing anything, not only studying but also doing other hobbies.  I don't know what should I do now. No matter what I do, I can't feel any pleasure. 

I did seek help, but I do not think it helps. My mum just blamed me and sarcastically told me not to waste her money on studying. Other than that, my case has transferred to a psychiatrist and psychologist who are totally different from my original one. They do not know my background well. I felt a little bit pushy when they kept on asking me to figure out how to tackle my own issues. 

Does anyone have a similar experience and can share what I should do? I saw some of you are really brave and handled mental health issues well. Please give me some advice and I wish all students here have a good start of uni and good health to everyone. 

1 Reply 1

Sophie_M

Hey Rosaki,

Welcome to the Forums! We are so glad that you've taken a big step in sharing here. It sounds like you have been through a lot and it can be really disheartening when it feels like those around us are not supportive. 

You have taken some amazing steps in getting support, even if it is feeling like it is not helping right now. It can take a while for things to start feeling helpful, especially when you have recently changed providers. One of the hardest parts of depression is continuing to put in the work even when it feels pointless. It is incredibly brave. 

We hope you find some comfort in sharing here, and in hearing from the lovely community members, many of whom will be able to relate to what you’re going through right now.  

Please know that you can always call our support line to talk this through, on 1300 22 4636, or via webchat 24/7: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/get-immediate-support 

Thank you for sharing this and giving this community a chance to offer you their understanding and advice.  Take good care of yourself as you navigate all of this and try to treat yourself with as much kindness as you can 💙

Kind regards,  

Sophie M