FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

How are you coping with your thoughts today?

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi All,

Each moment of every day, we have thoughts darting around in our minds. When I stop to consider the ramblings that are occurring, I realise just how much negativity and destruction is sometimes involved in my thought process. If I leave these thoughts unchecked, allow them to proceed further, if I don't acknowledge of challenge them, I can soon find myself struggling mentally.

How do you proceed once you realise your thoughts and mind are drifting off to a place you would rather not be?

71 Replies 71

Thank you Sophie M, it was a big step me reaching out as it’s not usually my thing, I don’t like burdening other people with my problems, although some friends have said I’m here for you, it just doesn’t feel like it. I don’t like the world knowing my problems as I know everyone has them. You have made me feel welcome, so thank you for reaching out. 

Down-mum
Thanks for making your first post.

welcome to this friendly forum. 
feel free to post here and you can start your own thread if you like.

we are listening and you are not alone. 

Hi Down-Mum,

Welcome to the community on the forum. I'm learning it is okay to have moments in life where I feel like I am struggling, it is not possible to be 100 percent all of the time. 

The forum is a safe place to express how you are feeling if you so desire. There is also a lot of information, people's experiences to learn from and ideas on solutions and suggestions that may help.

Sophie-M mentioned the support/help lines. I have called Beyond Blue and Lifeline in the past and find the support workers very helpful. They offer ideas and ways to get through the difficult times.

Hope you feel comfortable here! Regards from Dools

Down-Mum
Community Member

Just wondering guys, how do I support people or is that something that I need to get over time? Thanks so much guys 

Hi Down-Mum,

Are you asking how you use the Support button here on the forum? If that is your question, then you just click on the heart shape in the support box using your mouse and the pointer/hand symbol . I am not very technically minded, so that is the best I can do as a description! Ha. Ha.

If you want to support people by sharing your thoughts on what they have written, you are more than welcome to do that as well through your replies.

I am not sure if I have answered your question for you or not! Hope you are doing okay.

Down-Mum
Community Member

Thank you,

yes you answered my question and I did it! 
😊

Beaser
Community Member

Im really struggling with my thoughts today .  Just feel so sad and lonely   I miss my girlfriend and my family i dont know where to turn to.  I start a new job on Monday which terrifies me .   I just want some ideas on coping and to hear some positive stories.     Brett

Doolhof
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hi Brett,

Sorry to read you are struggling. I'm not sure why y are away from your Mum and Girlfriend. 

All the best with starting the new job on Monday. On your way to work, maybe you can repeat some positive words to yourself to encourage your sense of anticipation for a new beginning.

Someone told me once to stand tall when you are feeling nervous or unsure, hold your head up, put a smile on your face and think boldly.

At this new job you can be whom you want to be (with in reason depending on the position and type of job) You don't have to carry around all the baggage you might be holding on to from your last place of employment. Leave your bags at the door so to speak and forget to pick that negativity up when you leave for the day.

Easier said than done I know! I really hope your first day is okay, starting a new job can be tough, believe in yourself and your capabilities. Being nervous and excited is normal! Wishing you all the best.

Congratulations to you! I hope you have more opportunities to achieve new skills. I managed to reboot a computer device today at work without wanting to throw it out the window! I was very excited about my achievement.

Today I tried really hard to not allow my not so happy co-worker to  mess with my head and mood. I tried to continue to be nice to her. That didn't make any difference in the way she treated me, at least I was not so frustrated annoyed and yes angry by her responses.

Maybe she is struggling at work and has her own issues.

We all have issues. They may be different, but tot he person experiencing a situation it can feel very real, uncomfortable, confusing and lots of other things.

I'm trying to deal with some issues without them impacting my work too much.