FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depression and the timing of motivation

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Speaking from experience, if your depression has an obvious cycle to you, timing of your motivation could be in vain. It could be counter-productive when you don't reach your basic goals of fitness. Ever done some jogging when depressed and fallen into an emotional heap?

Often we read in these pages sufferers that try everything known to man in motivating themselves while in a mental down time. But isn’t this a similar concept to that old and common saying “just snap out of it”? We cant just do that, we know that, then why would we try the same in a physical sense?

Accepting our illness is essential as the thread talks about (google) “Topic: Acceptance- is this our biggest challenge- beyondblue” and motivation is another step we need to gather an inner strength, as part of our good management. How do we do this.?

Recent studies suggest that that annoying depressive cycle when it arrives is best left to run its course however long that might take. So fighting it is a waste of time. Going for a walk might well help but not intense exercise thinking you'll break that cycle. Considering this revelation, motivation strategies are best placed on hold.

My wife and I go to the gym 3 times a week for over 45 minutes of intense training. I was 131kg 9 months ago and unfit with a poor diet. We’d arrive and hop on the treadmill for minimum 20 minutes. This time period I was told allows the heart to get fit. Any less time and it’s a waste of effort as the blood pressure drops then rises again before 20 minutes, thus its good cardio training. Then weights for the rest of the time. However, several times I’ve arrived to get on the treadmill and only lasted 2-3 minutes. My mind was depressed maybe stressed…it has to be clear and content to do that machine. I think this is a reflection of what I’m talking about.

When we attend the gym and I’m not depressed at all, I accelerate my training, stay for over an hour and really put in. Furthermore I’m capable of lowering my food intake and eat healthier foods. I've lost 9kg. Based on this, it could be advisable to commit yourself more to your motivation regime when not depressed. Whatever you choose in terms of exercise, it is well known that physical exercise, like adequate sleep and relaxation is essential to the well being of the sufferer of the black dog.

Cant motivate yourself? Relax, do some muscle tensioning exercises and don't worry. Wait for that cycle to go by then run like the wind…

Tony WK

18 Replies 18

Hey Tony only got a couple of minutes

"get on the treadmill and only lasted 2-3 minutes. My mind was depressed maybe stressed…it has to be clear and content to do that machine."

I think for sure depression takes our motivation away as well as sleep seems mostly to be affected with depression so tiredness as well.

Reading your original post (op) so does research say or do you know does depression have it's good moments too. I've asked here a bit and others & generally it seems it does lift at times.

It's those times when we're stronger are the better times to work on getting a mindset like you're saying very difficult during depressive episodes

Hi all btw

Hi db

I dont read research. Mmostly ideas are based on my own experiences.

In this case many times I've tried to motivate myself while depressed especially when I had my ex partner claim I was being negative. Once left without the harassment and recovering slowly, the time came when I could implement my positive frame of mind.

Hence the post.

I found it was chalk and cheese in the periods whereby trying to motivate yourself is wasted energy under heavy depression

Tony WK

Hey WK I'm trying to read this again but literally can't see through the tears so I'll have another go and saw our amazing SW post read it but same t.y

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Tony, I'm here at your suggestion and will read tomorrow, I know I've read before but will do again..

Thank you Tony for your unwavering kindness and thoughtfulness.

kind thoughts,

Karen..

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi deebi and grandy

Our minds are complex yet its hard to see the reasons for how we are. Triggers, bad hair day, anniversaries, loneliness, even little things like a windy day. Our mind has cycles and yet we are unaware of them.

So this leads to a problem. If one night you are going to EXPECT the next day to go to work at the op shop, then you wake up in the morning and tears fall and walking out that foor isnt possible. You dont realise your mind, for whatever reason, is in a certain state.

The secret is to

• Trick your mind by temporarily doing something like turn the radio music on and have a cuppa.
  • Go do 15 minutes of gardening
  • Wash the car

You could change your mindset in a short time and make it to work. Allow an extra 20 minutes each morning for this event.

I once planned vegie gardening for the next day. In the morning I wasnt well. I approached the garden and burst into tears. An hour later I remembered having a nightmare overnight that involved that vegie garden.

Observing how our mind ticks isnt an easy task but we can help the process by realizing and accepting that our failings and difficult times has a reason often unknown to us. We arent JUST" hopeless. We arent always debilitated. When crap happens the cycle of motivation might be as short as 10 minutes, or while in deep depression, a month.

Its pointless driving a var on an empty take of fuel...

Tony WK

good on you thanks Tony I'm so glad you did that cause I want to re read but ...

I'll try that and you're right it does swap and change

Ggrand
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hello Tony,

I think I can see how that would work, it's another form of distraction, I often toss and turn and not get hardly any sleep thinking about having to go out the following day..

This Morning I had to go out..remembering your words previously to me about Drs appointments etc: and a must to attend..

Before I left this morning I had to fill the bird baths I have in my yard, and refresh my dogs automatic water drum..that's something that distracted me before I had to leave...I didn't realise I was doing what you suggested in your previous post.

Your words are always wise Tony..

Wishing you peace Tony 🕊.

Karen.

white knight
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi Karen

I should imagine we are then "conning" our brain, tricking it to do as we want, not allowing one section to dominate our emotions.

I should have been a psych but I didn't have a spare couch...lol

Tony WK

LOL