FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Depressed due to isolation and civil liberty restrictions

Tangney
Community Member
Does anyone feel their depression worsening because they are not afraid of the virus and don't agree with the lock down? I can't stand the isolation and hate the restrictions on my freedoms. I was isolated before this started and now it's worse. I feel that the isolation will actually kill me if it goes on for much longer and I am spiralling downwards. This is made worse by the fact that the reasons for the lock down are no longer in existence. I know that on 1 June things will get better, but it seems like a lifetime away just now. Isolation is used as a form of torture in some countries and solitary confinement is a punishment. I feel that this is being imposed on me, even though I haven't committed any crime. Some people cope better than others with these sorts of conditions. You tube videos, baking cakes, and knowing that flowers will eventually bloom doesn't make any difference. It would be nice to know if there are others who feel the same way. If anyone else out there thinks the same, please post a response.
425 Replies 425

Hey Tangney...

.I've found you! and Golden 82 also...yay! Am I allowed to express my views here? even if I am not afraid of Covid and never have been.....remember me? I was the one who expressed the view as far back as Day One of the hysterical fear...that the "cure" would be worse and the fall out last longer than the disease?

remember the old saying "there is nothing to fear except fear itself?".....pretty right wasn't it. The mental health fall-out for myself and I guess many others...has been horrendous. has it begun to sink in yet with more people...that we cannot spend the rest of our lives in fear, standing on the crosses, baking cookies, doing yoga at home, making silly videos of ourselves "in iso"......or perhaps some are happy to do just that! what an existence, not life, merely an existence...........

Hi Golden82 and Moonstruck. I didn't post for a while as I felt that I should reduce my exposure. There have been times when I've become distressed due to not being able to freely express myself, which seemed to defeat the purpose. If either of you are interested, I've been listening to a podcast on the ABC radio website called "Germs and Justice' hosted by John Feign. It's a 3 part series that looks into different aspects of the lock down from a legal perspective with a panel of university professors. I'm glad that someone is finally examining whether the removal of all these civil liberties breaches any law or the constitution. It's scary to me that the majority of people have been so willing to comply with these so called regulations without even thinking about it. I've been listening to ABC radio a lot more. I used to listen to the radio all the time when I was younger, but somehow got out of the habit. I also really like Nightlife with Philip Clarke on 702 from 10pm. It's good when I can't sleep and he discusses lots of interesting topics. Golden82 - I hope you're ok and that you've been able to have another desensitisation attempt since your last post. As I said before, I think it's so wrong that you've been put in this position. Have the trains been crowded in Adelaide? I'm finding it strange that after all the isolation, it's really hard to get out of bed and get motivated. For me, the restrictions on movement went on for far too long. I think it's going to take me a long time to recover from all the set backs caused by this isolation. In NSW, it's good that things have been opening up. Also in SA, things seem to be moving forward so I hope that helps you to some degree. Moonstruck, I agree with you and I always felt the same from the beginning - that this was a great big over reaction that would do much more harm than good. I'm even more strongly of that view now. I hope you're coping as best you can with your bereavement. It must have been awful to go through all that in the current climate, especially with the outrageous restrictions of funerals, some of the cruellest rules that were imposed. In Sydney, I sense that people are pretty sick of the whole thing and I see, when I'm out, that people are embracing the opening of restaurants, bars, etc, with gusto, and there is an upbeat atmosphere in most public places. I understand that cinemas in Sydney are due to open next week. I hope you are both doing ok.

quirkywords
Community Champion
Community Champion

Tangney, Golden82, Moonstruck

am glad you have a place on this forum to communicate and support each other.

I think if I had not had a bad start to the year with the fires, I may have felt more worried. Who knows. We all react differently.

I hope you are keeping well and looking after yourselves.

Quirky

Hi Quirkywords. I think it's really terrible that the fires have all but vanished from the public discourse. Many people died and were injured in the fires and many more are still homeless. Then there is the loss of livestock, wildlife and habitat. I feel despair that people are so fickle.

Hi Tangney (wave to Moon.. Golden82.. Quirky)

I agree with you that the lockdowns are difficult to live through...It is something we are not used to. You are always welcome to express yourself freely on the forums as Covid-19 impacts all of us....young or old. Your thoughts are just as valid as mine or anyone else's on the forums

Getting out of bed and motivated is a huge task in these unprecedented times...I hear you loud and clear there!

Only my humble opinion if thats okay (just expressing myself freely)....As much as I dislike the crappy restrictions they are a small price to pay so we dont end up like...just an example...Texas in the United States..

Population...29 million...

New Covid-19 cases Tuesday was 5489 (in one day)

Thanks for the excellent thread topic Tangney and being a part of the forum family too! Paul

Tangney
Community Member
Thanks blondguy, and welcome. But we only have a small handfull of cases today so the country should be open. No other disease would be create a situation where the country would be closed for less than 100 cases a day. Thanks for your kind thoughts. There are many people suffering because of these mad restrictions and not due to the disease itself.

Tangney
Community Member
ign Thanks, blondguy for your remarks. I don't think that we can compare ourselves with Texas or any other foreign territory at the moment. For lots of reasons, which I won't go into now because it's 3.30am and I've been trying to sleep. But thanks anyway.

Hello again Tangney and thank you again for starting this thread!! I have to agree with you that comparing us to other countries (as some have done for months now) e.g. "don't want to end up like Italy, US, UK, or wherever.." is like comparing apples to oranges....useless.

Counting the minutes until our Premier decides on Tuesday if we can let NSW people into Qld by July 10 is pure hell.

There is a big family situation hanging in the balance here on July 10...that we cannot finalise or plan for...we don't know if it will be cancelled or not. Jobs, family, mental anguish and money is all involved here....the emotional strain, relying on the power crazy woman who decides for us has been and remains intolerable.

Hey Tangney...and a wave to Moon!

No worries...appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post 🙂

Either way this is a frustrating and crappy period we are all going through

Great thread topic....Paul

Noticed on another thread, folk listing the "positives" they have found that have come out of this Coronavirus restriction on our freedom. I have to confess I have found None, Zero, Zilch....no positives.

Don't misundersand me...I have heaps of positives in my life, no trouble making a gratitude list...wonderful stuff, people, activities and favourite places.....but they were all there BEFORE Covid....they have not been the result of Covid....in fact, just about 100% of them have been forcibly removed from my life.."because"of Covid.

sorry but no, can't list any positives'