Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

dare2diva Ain't life grand...wait while I pick up that sarcasm lying down there
  • replies: 5

Community Service Announcement. The following is a self indulgent pity party for 1. Please feel free to hit the back button. I'm currently in a mixed mode which is simply delightful. I am depressed as hell but can't cry. The voices are driving me eve... View more

Community Service Announcement. The following is a self indulgent pity party for 1. Please feel free to hit the back button. I'm currently in a mixed mode which is simply delightful. I am depressed as hell but can't cry. The voices are driving me even nuttier than I already am. I am super excited about not sleeping (no sarcasm this time) I have spent so much money the past few weeks it isn't funny and I am so angry I am ready to do myself in and anyone who gets in my way. I am having physio due to neck pain and I find it so difficult to lie there for any length of time because my brain is constantly buzzing that the whole act of sitting still is past boring and well on the way to the morgue. I can't even entertain the idea of a massage for relaxation. Anyhoo. The past 11mths I have been bullied at work. I reported it, it was ignored then I really lost my lolly and finally it was taken seriously only to find the bully had resigned so they can't do anything. I work for the government so we are going through reforms. I had to apply for my job which I have been doing for over 3yrs and I found out the other day that I didn't get it. We have a union agreement so they have to pay me while they find me a job but still it does nothing for my self esteem. It has made me think a lot over the weekend. What is my worth as a human being? My older sisters family are all into the 'government is trying to poison us' conspiracy and mental health only exists because the pharmaceutical companies make too much money. All I need to do is change my behaviour and I will be fine! My younger sister uses me as an ATM and only visits when she needs money. My father, who lives with me since my mothers passing, is only concerned about making sure he has somewhere to live. According to him I am fat, ugly, useless and no wonder no one wants to marry me. How could anyone love me. I've pushed my friends away because I don't know who I can trust and I don't even have a dog that loves me unconditionally. So if we add all of that to the fact that I have no job, there really is no point to my existance. Accept perhaps the 4 pairs of shoes I have designed that I am waiting on being delivered. I feel completely lost. I have no sense of self. No self worth, no sense of value from others. This world keeps sending me messages and now they are slapping me in the head saying there is no reason for you to stay. I am trying to find something to cling onto but all the little branches seem to have broken. Funny thing is that I don't feel sad about this. I feel sad about nothing but not about this realisation. I guess spending 2 days of the weekend battling a blinding migraine and cold haven't helped me close down my pity party. T

jodes76 Slow and steady
  • replies: 3

In the last week I have been over using alcohol as a way to cope, I was blacking out and not feeling good about it the next day. On Friday I drank again and got into a self harm state so much so that I got my hubby to take me to hospital. This really... View more

In the last week I have been over using alcohol as a way to cope, I was blacking out and not feeling good about it the next day. On Friday I drank again and got into a self harm state so much so that I got my hubby to take me to hospital. This really scared me into trying to change, learning to deal with depression and anxiety and fighting rather than giving in. Went to my first AA meeting today which was really good. There's still along way or me to go but I am determined to get there.

The_Real_David_Charles A stress free birthday for Geoff ?
  • replies: 4

Did all those social anxieties get held at bay ? The grand daughter lose her nappy ? The twin brother reveal the secret of his slimness ? It's possible, even with the usual family problems and frustrations, to put aside the birthday flux and actually... View more

Did all those social anxieties get held at bay ? The grand daughter lose her nappy ? The twin brother reveal the secret of his slimness ? It's possible, even with the usual family problems and frustrations, to put aside the birthday flux and actually enjoy each other's company. I like the fact that you took a day off responding (Geoff's a long termer - 7 years - he is coming up for parole in 3 more years. Lol). It was nice that you gave time to yourself and bade Beyondblue to the back shelf for a day. I'm sure the mods got chance to have a second cup of coffee. I don't know what happened to me this weekend but I was anxiety free and even stood my ground at the dog park with a most bullying type of owner. I find the only problem with altercations is I can't tell if I'm being normal or if someone is sneakily saying "He's pyscho" behind my back. Then I replay the conversation for a few hours to annoy myself ! Sometimes it's not worth having a barny with someone - they'll forget it by dinner and I'll still be rolling it around my head all night. Maybe that's why I respond so much - other people's worries drown out my own. The best way to get a better perspective is to listen to another persons problems. I don't know, there's never a dull moment on BB. Adios, David. PS And 128 is a good age my friend. Lol.

Epiphany Nervous about getting help
  • replies: 5

Hi I think I have depression and maybe anxiety, I've just been really stressed out, down, and pessimistic about my future for a while now, and just recently I have been having suicidal thoughts a lot of the time. I've also been self harming for 3 yea... View more

Hi I think I have depression and maybe anxiety, I've just been really stressed out, down, and pessimistic about my future for a while now, and just recently I have been having suicidal thoughts a lot of the time. I've also been self harming for 3 years. I have been wanting to reach out for help for a while but I only really feel ready to now. I am thinking about making an appointment with a counsellor at uni, but I really struggle to let people know about my problems and let them in so I'm not really sure what to tell them or how to begin... I just feel like there is so much going on in my mind that I can't really pin point what the main issues are or get my thoughts straight. Any tips on how to ease into the appointment or what to say to begin with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brodiebear I'm giving up.
  • replies: 4

Hi, I'm 15 years old, been struggling for depression for at least 4 years now and I know some people don't think you can get depression that young, but it can come at any stage. I've been diagnosed with severe depression, I've lost all motivation to ... View more

Hi, I'm 15 years old, been struggling for depression for at least 4 years now and I know some people don't think you can get depression that young, but it can come at any stage. I've been diagnosed with severe depression, I've lost all motivation to do anything. I don't feel like eating, sleeping, getting out of bed or even leaving the house. I just feel like I've almost completely given up trying and I don't want to live anymore. It's hard living life like this, because I have no enjoyment with anything and I don't really have friends or am close with my family because I just feel so alone. i don't want to do it anymore and I can't, I'm so close to the edge and in sick if people saying its for attention, I never wanted my life to be like this and I would never want to have depression, it feels so lonely and horrible, like nobody understands. i just don't know what to do anymore, I'm giving up.

Paul70 Why bother

A number of weeks ago I disappeared into the bush way out of sight to end my life. I was over life. I tried to call my psychologist for help but she wasn't there. I was second away from leaving when she called. She helped me out of the bush and took ... View more

A number of weeks ago I disappeared into the bush way out of sight to end my life. I was over life. I tried to call my psychologist for help but she wasn't there. I was second away from leaving when she called. She helped me out of the bush and took me to hospital. I was admitted into a private hospital for two weeks to get help. The hospital was falling apart, psychologists leaving, not enough nurses etc etc. Whilst in hospital I had an argument with my mother over the view she had of my upbringing, my boss came for a visit and said that they couldn't hold my job for much longer. I was released after two weeks with no help. I have my wife telling me that I have reverted back to my old ways and when I get upset with what she said we end up in an argument. I am now even more sick of this world than when I started. Why the f,.@k do we bother? Where is the help? Why don't people understand? Are we in hell?

Bec_Luke Is there anyone else
  • replies: 2

Hi all. I'm 19yrs of age and this is my first time posting on here. About 6 and a half months ago before I got diganosed with depression, my life and things started to all come together and was working out. But it wasn't until I got really sick it wa... View more

Hi all. I'm 19yrs of age and this is my first time posting on here. About 6 and a half months ago before I got diganosed with depression, my life and things started to all come together and was working out. But it wasn't until I got really sick it was when my life had changed.for a few years up until now and onwards, bi have been seeing a phsycologist and my GP. I was put on medication but it has been a slow process and I know that its still going to take me a while for me to fully recover. I have no one else in my life to support and who really loves me, except for my partner. We had been together 3 months before I had gotten sick, there had been a few ups and downs in our relationship that had been hard and I guess im never gonna hear the end of it. He has been with me all this time, which I dearly cant explain how much I appreciate that. Due to my past childhood experience and this illness, is so hard. I've find it really hard to relate with other people or build new friendships. My partner is a social person who has a really good group of friends that I have never had. I would go a long with him when we go out to his friends gatherings, how ever in find it hard to relate to as they are old schoolmates and friends of his not mine. Every time we go out I kind of feel l the outsider, the lonely one. I've tried having conversations but its hard because, all there is to talk about are just the general things in life. Apart from that theres nothing else to talk about. I know my partner is trying hard to get me out and meet his friends and get to know them, but its really hard to when either of you cant relate, I've been told by my gp that its normal in many relationships like this however, I have been told its weather hus friends are willing to accept the other half of the relationship. But its only a regular thing that these gather8ngs happen. Its playing a big part on the relationship as its hard to want both a social life and a commited life as mt partner has told me. Iv recently cut down on my medication because im changing to another type. Im seeing another dr now as well as my phsycologist and gp, but at times I just feel like things are so hard and no 9ne can hear or under stand me and I just dont know what to do anymore . My life feels like a roller coaster and it just feels like forever to recover from. I find every day hard sometimes and I feel that my relationship is slipping away. At time I just dont feel like my partner knows why or whats going on. Eventhough on occasions its happened before and has be3n explained to. I know it must be really hard for him but I just feel that his caught up in just him self and doesnt notice. I juat have no one else in my life and I just dont know what to do anymore. I feel like ive tried/trying and im finding things so hard right now, I just don't know what to do. If there is anyone who can understand, it just be nice to just to have someone to chat to, someone who I can relate with.

mamamia Exhausted.
  • replies: 1

Hi. My name is Ria and I have had this infliction for what seems a life time. Until recently I thought I had it under control but unfortunately it has me beaten again. Am trying to deal with it without medication because I hate taking it. Have been t... View more

Hi. My name is Ria and I have had this infliction for what seems a life time. Until recently I thought I had it under control but unfortunately it has me beaten again. Am trying to deal with it without medication because I hate taking it. Have been to counsellors and physcologists in the past and found them to be no help. I don't want to talk in depth about what my deep seeded issues are. Right now it is just too much to cope with. I have unfortunately made some bad choices in regards to relationships and this has some what scarred me. I was married for almost 25 years and have 3 children who are now adults. I stayed far too long in that marriage, for my kids sake. My husband was very controlling. He was jealous of anyone who took me away from him. He wanted my attention constantly. He was even jealous of our children. As a result of this I was never given the chance to enjoy our children. He was forever telling me what to do, when to feed them, where to take them etc. I have always resented him for that. I finally found the courage to leave when our youngest was 16. By then I had been suffering with depression for over 10 years and I was also diagonosed with Menieres. A very debilitating illness with no cure. I got very little from the settlement. He didn't want to give me anything. I know some people, esp guys are going to say all women say that but it is true. My husband was very very mean and I must admit I was too tired to fight. Any way I was very happy for about 4 months. I was on medication at this time. In frustration and anger I have hurt myself. I got together with some one I had known for 13 years. He moved in with me and my daughter. He was an abusive alcoholic and a compulsive gambler. He hurt me and stole my money. I left him but I had to leave town. Leave my kids. who I still miss terribly, and leave a very good job. I was a basket case and thought leaving town was the only way to get away from him. I moved in with my sister and her family. I slowly got back on my feet. Moved to a small town, into a little place of my own and found a good job that I enjoyed. Of course I thought I needed a man so met one online. Got to know him over 3 years. We spent a bit of time together. I really thought he was perfect for me. I gave up my job, my place and moved, away from my support which was my family, across to W.A. I have never seen some one change so quickly. I was again in a horrible situation. I left him after giving it a go for 18 months. Now I am not saying that I am a perfect person, but I certainly don't make out I am some one I am not. What you see is what you get. The biggest issue I have is not being able to forgive myself. For hurting my children, by leaving them when they needed me esp my daughter and for hurting myself. I don't mean physically, I mean emotionally. I really just want to be happy in myself again. I am tired of putting on a brave face for those around me. I am tired of working. It is such an effort to do anything. I have no where to relax and be myself. I just want to cry and sleep for as long as I need to. Now at midnight I will try and get some sleep so I can function at work this morning. Thank you for allowing me to vent. Sorry it was very long winded.

jodes76 so over it all
  • replies: 2

very depressed at the moment. been drinking heavily, I don't want to give it up. also having suicidal thoughts. have been self harming. im such a mess, feel like theres no way out of this.

very depressed at the moment. been drinking heavily, I don't want to give it up. also having suicidal thoughts. have been self harming. im such a mess, feel like theres no way out of this.

phil350 What else to try?

I have had depression on and off for most of my adult life. I'm better at recognising the signs these days and seek help. In the past a few months on medications will see me through the worst of it and I'll make changes in my life to reduce the stres... View more

I have had depression on and off for most of my adult life. I'm better at recognising the signs these days and seek help. In the past a few months on medications will see me through the worst of it and I'll make changes in my life to reduce the stressors. However this time it's not working. I've been severely depressed for almost 2 years. I've tried a huge range of drugs, none have worked. I've seen a couple of psychologists for a couple of dozen sessions. I'm also seeing a psychiatrist but this hasn't helped. I've have just had 9 sessions of ECT and this hasn't worked. The psychiatrist now wants me to see another psychologist but my life sucks and I hate talking about it. I have spat out my story to so many people already I can't bear to do it again. Suicide is looking like a very good option. I have attempted it in the past and didn't want to head back down that path but I've run out of options and ended up here. Suggestions?