Depression

Depression affects people in Australia every day. Share your own story and learn about other member’s experiences with depression.

FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Pinned discussions

Jeriava How do I talk to my doctor?
  • replies: 9

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really ... View more

I’ve been struggling with my life for the past 7-8 years but I finally made an appointment with a doctor. I feel really scared though because I don’t ever go to the doctor for anything, and I havent seen this doctor for so many years that I’m really scared that they’ll judge me or won’t believe anything I say. I’m really anti social so I feel like I won’t be able to say what I wanna say or I’ll say the wrong thing causing them to just dismiss me and move me along without helping. I’m just tired of feeling alone, depressed and just worthless but I’m really scared to talk to them.

Chris_B Are you looking to support someone else with depression? PLEASE READ before posting
  • replies: 0

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and f... View more

This forum is for people seeking support for their own mental health issues. If you're posting on behalf of someone else with a mental health issue that you're concerned about, please have a look at this section of our forums: Supporting family and friends with a mental health condition It's full of threads from people who have family members and friends going through anxiety, depression or other related conditions. Have a read through the threads there, and feel free to take part in the discussions. Below are also some helpful beyondblue resources you might want to look through first as well: Supporting someone Have the conversation

AGrace SELF HELP TIPS FOR MANAGING DEPRESSION
  • replies: 132

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the ... View more

Hi Everyone, Here are some ideas you might like to try for managing symptoms of depression. Of course everyone's different, so let us know what works for you, and please feel free to add to the list... Mindfulness – through breathing or engaging the 5 senses Distress Tolerance – Accepting Emotions and Self Soothing Distraction – Put the thoughts/feelings aside and come back to them when you are ready to deal with them Positive Affirmations – Have some affirmations written down repeat them to yourself daily Sleep/Exercise/Diet – All 3 aspects of our lifestyle can impact the way we think/feel Increasing Pleasurable Activities – Engage in at least one pleasurable activity per day

All discussions

Grey1 Don't Tell Anyone
  • replies: 5

I have read many threads and I took these and my GP and pyschologists advise about telling people about my depression. However, when I told friends they gave out an uneasy laugh and stooped the conversation and the ultimate let down was my company th... View more

I have read many threads and I took these and my GP and pyschologists advise about telling people about my depression. However, when I told friends they gave out an uneasy laugh and stooped the conversation and the ultimate let down was my company that caused my depression won't let me come back to work and offered me a small some to walk away. This has added to my depression and put me right back to where I was 2 months ago. So my advise is to only share with like for like people as others are still in the dark about depression.

beyondhelp Tears in the Office
  • replies: 1

Well I'm new to this site after watching some mental health shows this week on tv and seeing some very familiar signs.I experienced some heavy fog today at the office so I decided to search online and found a depression check list. Well this certainl... View more

Well I'm new to this site after watching some mental health shows this week on tv and seeing some very familiar signs.I experienced some heavy fog today at the office so I decided to search online and found a depression check list. Well this certainly rang home, the sadness, being withdrawn, numb, feeling unwanted, the little things set me off, feeling of being judged. The tears just come from no where with no motivation to want to work. I feel if I feel off the earth no body would even know or care. For years I have felt like this and never knew any different. I'm not one for self diagnosis but depression really seems to fit. It can't remember the last time I felt happy and laughed. I certainly don't believe I have anything worthy to offer and my life has run its course . beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636. Normal 0 false false false EN-AU X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0cm; mso-para-margin-right:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0cm; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi; mso-fareast-language:EN-US;}

TinyJanet feeling fragile
  • replies: 3

Hey everyone, I hope this finds you well.I just wanted to write to SOMEONE because feeling depressed makes me feel as if I'm alone and can't talk to the people around me. It's so weird because I feel like I'm isolating myself, but I cant seem to help... View more

Hey everyone, I hope this finds you well.I just wanted to write to SOMEONE because feeling depressed makes me feel as if I'm alone and can't talk to the people around me. It's so weird because I feel like I'm isolating myself, but I cant seem to help it? Anyway, I just wanted to write and complain - hope that's okay. I just wanted to write that Ifeel brittle and broken and that I'm taking everything to heart. I had a disagreement with a best friend of 8 years a week ago and I can't get past it. It was something straight forward and if I was 'well', I would have shrugged it off and marked it down to a miscommunication...but this time, I keep going over and over and OVER it in my head and every time, makes me feel worse and worse. Physically, I feel sick to my very stomach. I don't understand it, but that disagreement has me crying all day, not sleeping at night and yesterday - even contemplating suicide because it hurt me that much. I honestly feel like I'm going crazy. I tried to talk to a friend (someone who knows us both) to get a wise opinion on it, but that friend just had a go at me and I took that to heart, too. I feel even worse having sought out help. Am I going crazy? I dont know how to get past this. I struggled getting out of bed this morning because I was awake all night going over every negative word my 2 friends had said to me. I don't understand why it's affecting me so much and along with depression, I have now developed a fear of hearing anything else from friends that might hurt so I have stopped talking to anyone. I can't live like this beyondblue's clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

hyde just my thoughts on paper
  • replies: 2

There's just some darkness inside that I cannot reveal... Because they tear me apart with their ugly truths that lay concealed. Iv known this darkness all of my existence and even I have never gained peace from their pecistance. So you see I have no ... View more

There's just some darkness inside that I cannot reveal... Because they tear me apart with their ugly truths that lay concealed. Iv known this darkness all of my existence and even I have never gained peace from their pecistance. So you see I have no choice but to withold from you.. because I fear that what this darkness says is true. There's so much I wish I could say and have you chase this lifetimes darkness away... I don't just not say because I'm fearful.. I don't just not tell because I love you. But to protect both the lover and the loved.. I withhold the powers within this silence and place you happily above!

Guest_9466 What do you think of Mental As on ABC?
  • replies: 3

Hello, Not sure where to post this, so moderator, you are welcome to move this thread to another appropriate slot? Has anyone seen the Mental As screened by ABC TV. I am not sure if I am happy with the way those with mental health issues were portray... View more

Hello, Not sure where to post this, so moderator, you are welcome to move this thread to another appropriate slot? Has anyone seen the Mental As screened by ABC TV. I am not sure if I am happy with the way those with mental health issues were portrayed. Yes, perhaps they want to cover a whole spectrum but why don't the powers to be, includes people who suffer from depression but can still function daily at home and in the workplace.? It is true that I may not be as productive but I was still able to work and contribute to the family income. I didn't claim any disability allowance or any social security benefit. Seeing the program makes me ashamed to let people know that I suffered from depression. It is no wonder that there is a stigma attached to depression / mental health issues.

Loula To tired to fight

I started suffering from depression as a teenager and I still do 10 years later. I've been on meds, I've seen doctors and everything your meant to do and I do good for about a year and then hello it's back again. I'm tiered of it and trying to treat ... View more

I started suffering from depression as a teenager and I still do 10 years later. I've been on meds, I've seen doctors and everything your meant to do and I do good for about a year and then hello it's back again. I'm tiered of it and trying to treat it. Maybe I'm just not meant to be happy. Why should I keep fighting something I'm programmed to be? This year has been the worst. I've been married for3 years to my high school sweet heart. we decided to go on a holiday and on the second last night I got very ill and ended up in the hospital to find out I was miscarrying a baby I never knew I had growing in me It was the worst pain ever to instantly fall in love with something that has left me and come to terms with itAfter the loss I went to friends for help but of course people fail you and I have found myself with out my best friend of 15 years. I found my self to get more quiet and pull away from my husband. I'm just detaching myself from the world. But I think I've detached my selfs to far. I'm board and lonelyI have no friends. My husband and myself are people of faith and high up in our church and every single day I feel pressure to be perfect. I can't keep being perfect anymore. I've been the good perfect virgin church going girl since I was 14 and all I want to do is go to the clubs get so drunk, expreament with drugs see what it's like to be with another man & live a lifeI feel so horrible saying that though because my husband is AMAZING! He loves me so much and worships, encourages, loves me every day for who I am flaws and all. But I'm board, I'm sad and lonley. I feel I got three options, sit it out hope this goes away, or fake it and keep everyone around me happy. I could end my relationship, watch my self hurt the love of my life and be a failure to my family and love with guilt. I will have fun for a whole but I know I will end up sad. Or just end my life and hope people will slowly forget about me and I don't have to watch people get hurt or feel hurt and sad any more. I sit in bed every night just thinking how easy would it be to end it all. I convince myself I should do it. I literally have to hold the bed so I want get out of it and end my life because I know there are other ways out but I'm tiered of the other ways I'm so tiered I really just want to be free and I don't know how to be free anymore. I feel so dead inside. I don't feel like the real me is alive and I hate that I really hate thatI just want to be normal beyondblue’s clinically-trained moderators often work offline (invisible to you) on issues relating to suicide or self-harm. At the same time, general supportive comments from the community are encouraged. If you have concerns around suicide or self-harm, please phone our support service on 1300 22 4636.

ssydb reality hit
  • replies: 6

Well I feel like I've finally achieved my unconscious goal. Waking up to reality and realizing that over the years I successfully worn down all my friendships, alienated my family and actually have no one to turn to and talk, rely on (although I know... View more

Well I feel like I've finally achieved my unconscious goal. Waking up to reality and realizing that over the years I successfully worn down all my friendships, alienated my family and actually have no one to turn to and talk, rely on (although I know I should really only rely on myself) and just be around. I've been trying to hold it together for so long and im so upset, I couldn't even hold it at work today. The tears just kept running down my face at my desk, I had to go home. I really hate myself right now for letting it get to this, but I just don't know what to do anymore

harmony77 sad

feeling worthless and that my life is not going to get better.

feeling worthless and that my life is not going to get better.

Joya Where do I begin
  • replies: 4

I feel so alone, I feel so ugly, I read so many help books on how to love yourself but I can't seem to find the right solution. I'm 38 years old and I've been in recovery for almost 18 months now and I'm very proud of myself. But, without the mask of... View more

I feel so alone, I feel so ugly, I read so many help books on how to love yourself but I can't seem to find the right solution. I'm 38 years old and I've been in recovery for almost 18 months now and I'm very proud of myself. But, without the mask of drugs and alcohol, I really don't know myself. I don't have any friends because I'm so anti social, my social skills suck because I'm not comfortable talking to people sober. I really want to enjoy my new life but it seems all do is get angry or cry all the time. I was recently dropped from my insurance so my depression is at an all time high, all I think about is what's wrong with me and my life. I'm sure this isn't the way I should be living.... I'm just so sad all the time.... thanks for listening.

mandymoo long time suffer since childhood. looking for advice/chats with other long term sufferers
  • replies: 2

Hi everyone, I am looking to find some support or advice from other long term sufferers . It would help to know that there are others who have battled with this and continue to keep on keeping on. I'll share a little of my history and some difficulti... View more

Hi everyone, I am looking to find some support or advice from other long term sufferers . It would help to know that there are others who have battled with this and continue to keep on keeping on. I'll share a little of my history and some difficulties I am facing now. I have suffered bouts of depression since I was 8 . If it happened before then I can not recall it. I am now 28 and still fighting to keep on top of managing life with depression. My first thoughts of self harm were at 8 and I suffered major depressive episodes regularly after this. I went undiagnosed up until the age of 18 when I spent time in a mental health ward after my mother called the police for assistance as she didn't know what else to do. As the years go on I am finding it harder to pick myself up from my little moments, as I call them. They occur at least once every year and seem to be getting a little worse each time. I have started suffering from anxiety along with them, which I feel is coming from the dread I experience when I sense my efforts to fight back an episode aren't working well. I am currently hitting a major low point but have finally taken the steps to seek help that I should have done a long time ago....the problem I am facing is that I feel so exhausted from the compiling effects over the years that I am doubting my ability to fight back to better times like I usually do. My little box of hope I draw upon to build up my positive thoughts feels empty and I'm not sure where I'm going to get the strength to fight this time. As my thoughts wandered to places I normally don't let them go to tonight I thought I would come here and ask for suggestions from others that may have found them selves where I am now. My question to you all is how did you find strength when your supply of hope was dwindling? And what helped you to get back on track. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Appreciation in advance Mandymoo