FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Favourite Bands/Singers

scorch
Community Member

Hi guys,

I was inspired by Neil's thread about favourite movies.  I want to know - what are some of your favourite bands/musicians?

Do you have an album that you listen to over and over?  Is there a songwriter who you connect with, that seem like they draw their lyrics directly from your soul?  What is your favourite style of music?  Who did you grow up listening to?

Are you a musician yourself?

And importantly, I'm always looking to discover another band or genre so if you have any suggestions of a great song let me know so that I can look it up 🙂

As for me, I don't really like most of the stuff that gets played on the radio.  The lyrics seem meaningless to me, and the songs are mostly produced just to make money - not to connect with an audience or tell a story.  I prefer songs and artists that are sincere and genuine, that confront important and real life topics or are emotionally touching.  that doesn't mean I live for slow ballads... no, I listen to all kinds of music, fast paced - slow and rhythmic, rap, hip hop, jazz, folk, rock, alternative, metal.... I love it so long as it has some depth.

I'm currently hooked on a band called Twenty One Pilots.  I love em!  Also, I recently discovered a genre called Nerdcore which is rapping about nerdy stuff like computer games and everyday events etc... I love rap but I don't love a lot of the language or topics that are usually rapped about, so chilling out to some lighthearted Nerdcore works for me 🙂  

260 Replies 260

scorch
Community Member

Hi RockerJ

I hadn't heard of Devin Townsend, but I just listened to a couple of his songs.  (Let's hear it for YouTube!)  I'm impressed.  I think I'll add him to my listening list.  

Thanks for bringing him to my attention 🙂

Neil_1
Community Member

Dear Matty,

Don’t forget one of the ones on your ipod playlist – Roxette!   C’mon join the Joyride, be a Joyrider!! For those wondering what that was about, Matty, myself and Geoff had a few posts a couple of weeks back about the dynamic duo from, was it Switzerland?

Scorch, I  think I’m going to have to look Love And Death up now. I also love all of Linkin Park stuff … and have noticed that Chester Bennington (lead singer) has branched out for the time being with a new band, ‘Stone Age Pilots”, I think they’re called, although haven’t as yet heard any of their muzac.

Rock on people

Neil

ps:  how poignant that "RockerJ77" has joined this thread!!!

pss:  Um Scorch, the fact that people dance to ABBA could be a direct result of alcohol?  Says he, who used to have "Arrival" cassette in my car many many moons ago.

guest75
Community Member

Neil

She says Hello, You Fool, I love you, come on and join the joyride ...lol Roxette...

Im pretty sure they were swedish, but yes, i am the king of lame music, anyone looking at my playlist would have a good laugh 🙂

scorch
Community Member

lol!  I think if we did a scientific study we would indeed find a direct link between alcohol consumption and dancing to ABBA.

And mattyj, Neil... if you want lame music - what about Katrina and the Wave's 'Walking on Sunshine' or Men Without Hat's 'Safety Dance.'

Those are two of my all time shameful favourites!

guest75
Community Member

I can top you on that scorch...I have BOTH of those on my phone (i am now singing safety dance in my head, but it got rid of the brady bunch theme that neil put in there)

AND

I also have "itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini" by Sha na na

AND

like 4 vengaboys songs

AND

Not 1, but 2 Vanilla Ice songs "play that funky music" and "ice ice baby"

I believe i win, where is my trophy?

scorch
Community Member

Wow! 

Itsy bitsy teenie weenie yellow polka dot bikini... really?  I have no words.  lol.

I bow to the master! 

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
I'll take your polka dot bikini and raise you an Agadoo.

Neil_1
Community Member

Um, Jess ... the title, favourite bands/singers??  I mean, come on, Agadoo do do, push pineapple up the tree ... and then I used to make up the words cause I didn't know them.

We've mentioned ABBA, we've mentioned Roxette, but what about the other band that ever so slightly resembled ABBA - Bucks Fizz.  "Makin' your mind up" - youngsters who are reading this, do yourself a favour and You Tube that!!  (or on 2nd thoughts, don't).

Try to class it up a little:    Rob Thomas and Matchbox 20. 

JessF
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I knew I'd get a bite! I wanted to see what reaction I'd get, I admit it. I have horror memories of going to a fancy dress thing years ago (in a group) dressed as a pack of cards (don't ask) and us all miming to Agadoo on stage. It may be why I'm still in therapy.

OK, my attempt to class it up a little: Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush.

guest75
Community Member

I will see your agadoo Jess, and raise you the complete works of Jive Bunny 🙂

Some of my other favourite artists are

I quite like C&W music, which unfortunately is Tara's influence on me...really like Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Jr, Slim Dusty, Adam Harvey

Some others i really like are The Ramones, Propaghandi, Clawfinger, Spiderbait (mostly their older stuff, and only the stuff the Kramm sings), Regurgitator (Once again only their old stuff, they got weird), Rammstein, Blur (once again their older stuff, dont like them when they tried to be grunge), Nirvana...heaps of others