FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Coping during the Coronavirus outbreak

Sophie_M
We recognise that many of us here in the community are feeling scared, worried and overwhelmed about Coronavirus (COVID19). 

As a result, we created this thread to allow people to come together here during those difficult times and encouraged those wanting to share or seek support to do so here in this space. 

It was important with this thread that we maintained perspective and supported each other as best as we could, medical, scientific and public health experts around the world have and still are working hard to contain the virus and treat those affected. 

The Beyond Blue Support Service is available via phone 24/7 on 1300 22 4636 or via beyondblue.org.au/get-support for online chat. 

There are some other helpful discussions taking place here within our forum community that you may find helpful to read or participate in: https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-support/online-forums/staying-well/hi-there-i-only-just-joined-and... 

This thread is now closed for further posting. Users are still able to read through and find support through already existing posts.  
3,208 Replies 3,208

SapereAude
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

We are going to have the chat with our children tonight (6 &2) as to why Daddy (administrator) is now going to work from home and Mummy is still at location on her job on the front-line (retail customer service manager). There is a section on the Beyond Blue homepage on the Coronavirus which has a little bit of information. I have copied some below. What have others done to discuss this with their children?

Children and young people
Families and caregivers of children and young people should discuss news of the virus with those in their care in an open and honest way. Try to relate the facts without causing alarm, and in a way that is appropriate for their age and temperament. It is important to listen to any questions they may have, to let them know that they are safe and that it’s normal to feel concerned.
If the media or the news is getting too much for them, encourage them to limit their exposure. This video has some useful tips for talking to young people about scary stuff in the news.
Beyond Blue's Be You initiative has also developed the following resources to help educators support children and young people’s mental health during the coronavirus outbreak.

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Supporting school learning communities
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Supporting early learning communities

Mezzzzzzy
Community Member

My anxiety has been really bad this week. I have generalised anxiety disorder so I experience all sorts of symptoms everyday, however this feels different. I’m so scared of getting this virus and ultimately of death (possibly being the result). I have asthma and therefore feel I’m more of a risk than someone my age who doesn’t have asthma (I’m 24).

Does anyone have any ideas of how to lower this certain anxiety? I’m so so scared 😔

Peppermintbach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone,

I apologise for not having anything particularly helpful to say, but I just have some emotions that I would like to unload here. I hope that’s okay...

I’m extremely grateful & fortunate to have a job in this difficult time, & I don’t take that lightly. I’m very, very thankful...

That said, everyone at work is tired. I’m tired. Our executive staff are tired. Our frontline staff are (even more) tired. And our clients are (understandably) scared, as almost all of them are immunosuppressed.

Management were doing things that they normally don’t do...searching online, making calls & physically going into shops to try to find face masks, hand sanitiser, & gloves for our frontline staff. I am in a strange position of helping to screen & monitor clients; one that I don’t necessarily feel trained or experienced to do.

Work has become a very strange & chaotic place...

I came home on Monday night & almost burst into tears. I sat up till 10pm, wondering if I had missed something in the screening/monitoring process...

I’m not a medical professional. I don’t know what I am doing, & direction at work is unclear because the current situation is unprecedented.

But on the upside, I have had to learn to take things day by day. I have no choice. I think that might be key right now for many of us...?

I sat outside tonight, coffee in hand, & just let the sadness wash over me. Sometimes I think that I just have to feel my own emotions, even the difficult ones...

The cool breeze was comforting, & I noticed the sunset & the red undertones of a huge plant with dark leaves. Gorgeous. Even during stressful & uncertain times, it made me appreciate how there are moments of beauty....

Not sure what I am trying to suggest other than maybe let’s just take it day by day, & if you’re feeling scared or sad, those feelings are valid too.

We are all in this together 🙂

Kindness and care to all,

Pepper

Mariasharapovafan1
Community Member
I've now started to do some activities at home today. Right now I'm knitting a blanket for my dolls and now going to water my strawberry patch on a sunny day. Also I'll be knitting some small toys for children's charities when I'm not doing any online classes or online church services. It'll be a marvellous thing to keep me occupied at a time of loneliness and boredom. Tomorrow will be the last day to be out and about except for going to supermarkets and chemists. Also I can do some exercise at home such as gardening and cleaning in order to get fit so that I don't spend all my time sitting. Unfortunately things are very different whilst at home but it doesn't worry me. I can hope my routines are still normal but I now have to adjust.

Jacinta Ardern, NZ Prime Minister, has a good little video on Utube after putting her toddler to bed, about why New Zealanders are staying home and what is expected. You can Google it anyone interested.

Welcome everyone posting for first time on this thread,

t is great to hear the thoughts of so many people,

Mezzzzzzzzzzzzzy, welcome to this thread and well done for making your first post.

can understand you concern. If you read some of the posts they can contain ideas for lowering anxiety.

I think you can be aware of your health status and follow all the health advice and take extra precaution.

know people who have a disability and are at risk to the virus and they take extra care and practice social distancing and self isolation.

Pepper thanks for sharing your honest words. You open up and share your thoughts with others.

Just wondering has any got a fun tip for exercising indoors. ?

I do lounge room obstacle course, Around the table over the lounge under the table around the lounge.

smallwolf
Community Champion
Community Champion

hi and welcome.

@quirky - I will think on your question and get back to you.

not sure how I stumbled upon the link below, but I have found it helpful for myself and particularly the “calm yet cautious” approach of doing your "best to remain calm and be mindful not to contribute to the widespread
panic that can hinder efforts to positively manage the outbreak"

https://www.lifeline.org.au/get-help/topics/mental-health-and-wellbeing-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak

actually, on exercise, there is plenty you can do. however whether it is fun or not is a different story.

stay safe everyone.

Kat14
Community Member

I’ve suffered depression and anxiety for almost 20 years, I am medicated and generally cope pretty well, although still have a couple of down days here and there.... but at the moment with Coronavirus out there, I’m feeling it.

I was kind of looking forward to lockdown, set myself a number of jobs to get done... but Every now and then I cough, ohh no, Corona, then another time I might swallow, ohh that hurt a little, ohh no, carona, ohh am I hot... ohh temperature... oh no Corona, and today I woke feeling quite tight in the chest, had a migraine and I also get a burning sensation around my bicep. Home with kids - teenagers who are happy to game all day...which I’m not so happy about... would like then to set some projects too.

i really don’t think I have it, but I think too much media, my mind is being paranoid. Of course it’s so much worse at night.

im about to head to bed I’m finally a bit tired... hoping not to toss and turn too much.

i know things will be better in the morning and I just have to soldier on.

best wishes everyone... we can get through this. (So much easier to say this to you... )

Hi everyone,

Quirky: I just wanted to say thank you very much for your words of encouragement & validation. That means a lot.

I hope you’re taking good care of yourself, or as well as you can with all things considered xoxo

All: well wishes to all of you. We are in this together.

kindness and care,

Pepper

Hi Pepper

In response to your earlier post about your new work pressures. You just do the best you can. That's all anyone can ask and all that can be expected. At the end of the day, let it go. Release the worries because it doesn't help you or anyone else. You have to be in your best shape to carry on working, which means you have to be kind to yourself.

I'm glad you vented, as I want you to know that you are not alone. And whatever job you are in, thank you for working through this. You are a hero.

Kind thoughts to you