FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Work Freak Out

k00lkat
Community Member

Hey I'm new here.

I was just wondering if I could go to a regular doctor and get a doctors note for my anxiety? I had a panic attack at work and now my bosses want my doctor to write them a note but the last time I saw someone was years ago and they were for children. Can I simply just get my doctor to write a note stating that I'm mentally stable or do they have to write something else?

Thank you in Advance

1 Reply 1

Lily78
Community Member

Hi

A doctor's certificate can be written by someone you haven't seen on a regular basis. It would be easier if you knew the doctor however you don't need to worry about this. Explain to the doctor what has happened and they can provide a certificate. Although you have had your panic attack at work, the certificate does not need to explain any personal information besides the fact you maybe unfit for work and include dates. Its always harder at work depending on whether you have close work colleagues or not as people always seem to want to know what is happening.

I have been through something similar of late where I have had to take some time off. I had to see a GP last week who I had not seen before. They are understanding. It is confronting at first, however it gets easier.

Although I struggle to follow my own advice, your health is what is most important. I spend alot of time worrying what others think when really it's not important. Getting yourself well is all you should be focusing on now.

I hope this helps.