FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Scared to stop going to therapy

Susanna4568
Community Member

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting so I'm sorry if my post is not following any forum rules or etiquette.

I started seeing a psychologist last year after dealing with anxiety, OCD, intrusive thoughts and procrastination. I had so many physical symptoms of anxiety, couldn't be home alone or by myself at all, and felt like I didn't know myself anymore. I was basically overanalysing and worrying about anything and everything. I was overthinking my entire life which was causing me to deal with so many different OCD themes and I experienced graphic, detailed intrusive thoughts.

Fast forward 6 months and my psychologist said that if I feel comfortable, I don't really need to come back to see them anymore. I am definitely doing much better; I have a good understanding of my mental health and how my brain reacts to triggers and certain situations. I can be home alone and no longer feel like I am about to "lose my mind".

Despite my improvement, I feel really scared to stop going to therapy. I constantly feel as though I am about to tip over the edge and lose myself again. I worry that if I do go back, my psychologist will think I am overreacting and am wasting their time when they could be seeing other patients who are struggling much more than I am.

I guess I would appreciate some advice on what I should do. Do I have to be completely better to stop going to therapy? If I start to feel terrible again, am I allowed to go back and see my psychologist even if they have already given me all the tools I need to cope?

11 Replies 11

geoff
Champion Alumni
Champion Alumni

Hello Susanna, welcome to the forums.

If I can explain, if possible what happened to me when I was doing an online help for people suffering from OCD, is that yes it supposedly improved, but as soon as the course finished I had no one backing me in what or how I was feeling, so I then went back to how I previously was.

It doesn't matter if you are able to 'control' your OCD with the assistance of a psychologist, but as soon as they say 'we don't need to see you anymore', then it feels as though someone has pulled your legs away from under you, it's lonely being out in the world without the help you need.

OCD can happen once again all of a sudden and return without any warning, starting off at a low level, then building up to where it initially was or perhaps even worse.

Maybe they could direct you onto another group or situation where you can still get the help you need, I'm sorry but you can't be left to your own devices, not with OCD, especially if that's where you want the help.

Take care.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

Thank you so much for your reply! I agree, my OCD has actually returned multiple times since I stopped seeing my psychologist so regularly. I will mention this to them when I see them again in the future. I will also ask about the groups you mentioned. Thank you for this idea! 🙂