FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Please tell me i'm not alone

Danni
Community Member

I am doing the bare minimum to scrape through in school. I hate having to go to sleep because that's when I think the most. I feel like a burden to anyone to has to put up with me. I only like going out when I drink because that's the only thing that helps the insane anxiety, the terrified doomed feeling I get when I'm in public. I get really depressed a lot. I am sensitive and small thing effect me way too much. I feel guilty for feeling this way because I know how much better off I am than so many people out there suffering much worse than I am. I just feel worthless, pointless, insignificant and alone. 

I think I wrote all this cause I just wanted to be able to talk to someone about it. I don't talk to anyone and that's probably half my problem. I just wanted to get this off my chest. 
As well as let anyone know who might be reading this that I am here if anyone wants to talk to me. I'm not sure how this site works yet but if you just want to talk to someone and you find a way to contact me I will do anything I can to help. 

5 Replies 5

ohmk01
Community Member

Hi mate,

obviously I don't know the full story or know you personally nor am I professional , but i read this post and i can tell you, you are not alone.

I too have had those feelings of "being worthless" or "being a burden" and always feeling judged when in public and all that. its not a nice feeling at all. 

like mentioned above, I am no professional and obviously dont know everything; but ways i have managed deal with such negative feelings is to take time and work out why i felt that way, 

reminded my self of that old saying "all men are created equal" and what I took from that is that when i felt "out of place" is "i have just as much right to be here as much as anyone else" 

Maybe try new things? like activites? start working out , maybe take on extra curricular classes  

You mentioned you were in school, so i assume highschool or uni and I know most schools offer councelling services 

integrityguy
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hi Danni. You are not alone. Many, many people share the same feelings, for any number of reasons. I've suffered chronic anxiety on and off for at least 19 years, and I have the all-too-familiar knot in my chest right now.

ohmk01 offers some great advice. Further to that, I believe we react to certain situations due to deeply held beliefs we develop (often unconsciously). For example, some people believe they must sleep well EVERY night in order to function the next day. The usual result is your mind puts pressure on your body to fall asleep, thus making you more anxious, thus meaning you get little or no sleep. In that case it could help to replace the belief with something like "I can't expect to sleep well every night, and when I don't, I'll deal with it as best I can in the morning".

In terms of people suffering worse than you ... anxiety sufferers are all in different stages in the their life, with different circumstances, challenges and pressures. Whether they are better or worse off is just a matter of perspective. Sometimes it is best to look after yourself, first and foremost, then reach out to others.

A final thought If I may. As a sensitive person myself who takes things very personally, I also recognise that sensitivity is a very attractive trait. Sensitive people are often more attuned to other peoples' feelings and emotions, and can be great listeners.

Peace.

Damien
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

Hello Danni.

You're not alone.  I'll see how this thread goes and say more if necessary, but right now I want to answer your key, burning question.  You are NOT alone.  There are others who feel like you do, (although no two people are ever exactly the same), and plenty of people on this stream who will want to encourage and support you.  You are not alone, you are important, and you are definitely noticed.

🙂

nigella1
Community Member

You are not alone Danni I too suffer from feelings like this OFTEN.

Good on you for talking on here about how you feel.I`m sure that others would love to help you

Chin up mate things can only get better(we hope)

Di_T
Community Member
Oh Danni, you are NOT alone in these feelings. I read your post and much of it could have been written by me. You have taken an amazing first step by saying what you have. i wish I had the courage to do it when I was younger. There is great advice in the posts above. To help you get through it, seek out assistance from doctors, counsellors, friends or forums like these. They may help you get to the root of these feelings as so much is unconcious. Cherish yourself, do thiings you enjoy. You have value.