FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Meningioma and Anxiety

Amiejai
Community Member
Hi there! I hope I’m in the right place, I feel like I need to tell my story... over the past 20 years (I’m 43), I have suffered in and off with anxiety, tried various medications, therapies etc and generally had what I would refer to as an unusual disposition/feeling about living in my own body. I’ve managed to be a teacher that whole time, have a couple of kids and maintain what I suppose are ‘normal’ relationships. About 3 months ago, my anxiety stepped up a notch and I put myself back on medication which seemed to help things. Now this is where it gets interesting: last Monday, I was at school and had a seizure (thankfully not in front of a class and thankfully I don’t have any recollection of it). Fast forward to today (10 days later), I have had brain surgery to remove a tumour from my right frontal lobe and I am back at home recovering (remarkably well given I have a nice new headband of staples across my skull - not even a headache). I find myself here because since I’ve been home I have had this incredible sense of clarity that wasn’t there before, for years I feel like I e been living in this haze of confusion and nervousness. You’re probably thinking I’m on some pretty serious brain surgery recovery drugs but I’m not, not even Panadol. I do continue to take my medication in the morning but I am wondering if that’s something I might even be able to consider stopping. Who knows, I might be completely crazy but I can’t help wondering if something putting pressure on a particular area of the brain might even be the cause of an anxiety disorder. For now I’m going to choose to celebrate the fact that I’m here! Considering myself an interesting case study that’s for sure!
1 Reply 1

Whazp
Community Member

Hi Amiejai,

It is an odd occurrence however i would avoid stopping your medication because you are feeling fine. I stopped mine a little over 3 years ago because i felt great and everything has since fallen apart and i am still trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Best to consult with your GP / Psychiatrist about it as they can advise you if you do decide to discontinue the treatment.