FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Health Anxiety ruining my life

fearer101
Community Member

I'm 17 and I'm worried about spending the rest of my life in fear of being sick (vomiting/gastro being my upmost biggest fear, feels like death to me) and the embarrassment and frustration of my OCD. I've been dealing with this for about 2 years now and have seen two psychologist and group therapy which was very insightful and my psychologists did help me but i still love day to day worrying about getting sick and germs and constantly washing my hands. I suffer from panic attacks and spontaneous bursts of anxiety for not real trigger. I'm in VCE and don't want this to affect my schooling and goals for the future and i do not want to live the rest of my life like this. How can i achieve a normal life with normal feeligns and knowing the differece between normal real feelings and anxiety?!

1 Reply 1

S_A_D_
Community Member

I had to google this. I'm guessing by VCE you mean Victorian Certificate of Education program. If wrong plz correct. if right, please explain what this means for you.

Continue seeing your psychologist(s). If they're earning what they're paid they should be using conditioning and shaping to alter your behaviour. It is a very good thing to catch this now and overcome it as quickly as possible before it takes hold of you. Ask them to give you tasks that you can do with friends and  family to overcome it more quickly. It won't be a cure, and you might have OCD for the rest of your life, but it will be manageable and you'll be able to, as you say, "knowing the difference between normal real feelings and anxiety" much better. 

You might be a candidate for CBT. check it out.