FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Feeling anxious

Guest_342
Community Member

Hello,

Having a bit of an anxious day. I needed to get a massage today so searched carefully online for a nice place and chose one because they had an open (ie transparent glass) shop front, it seemed clean and they said they are COVID safe.

i was running about two mins late and google maps said I had arrived and pointed to the parlour. I noticed the name was different and the whole window was not transparent (had pictures on it). Because I was late I didn't question it too much - I said I'm sorry for being late and asked if this is [abc] massage - the lady said yes and I asked have they got a new name and she said yes. She might not have understood me - English was not good. She didn't seem to understand I had made an appointment. The place was a little dingy and she did not wear a mask and when I asked to sign in for COVID at the end she didn't understand - I wrote my name and number on a post-it note. I didn't know what else to do. I feel fairly safe here in Melb with our low numbers but I got very anxious leaving. That was made worse when I drove away and down the rd about 100m I passed the correct place. I felt terrible for them. And it looks like a beautiful place. I noticed a missed call and called when i got home to explain - I don't think they understood vey well and said they waited a long time for me but thanked me for my call.

I don't know why but I felt dirty and felt the need to scrub when I got home. Now I feel like I shouldn't see anyone for a few days? But then the rational me says masks are only required in a small list of places here now and there are so many close interactions we all have without masks now - eg beauty therapists, hairdressers, cafes, etc. and we can't isolate from society every time we do these things. And I did my bit to record my name and number and used hand sanitiser. I felt the same anxiety when I travelled my plane interstate and a person behind me had their mask hanging from one ear and continued to wipe their nose and sniff the whole flight - I didn't see any friends/family on my return until I knew I didn't get sick. This is exhausting if I do it every time, because the pandemic will go on for a while yet.

I know I have given support to some people here about health anxiety, but I too occasionally fall into difficult times where for some reason my anxiety is OTT.

i suppose I'm just looking for some opinions or reassurance.

4 Replies 4

Katyonthehamsterwheel
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi there

Sorry you're feeling a bit anxious today, and your post has gone without reply. Sometimes posts get a bit lost.

I live in WA, so the experience I've had with Covid is different to yours, but your reaction seems reasonable. I think you took precautions to ensure you could go somewhere that took Covid safety seriously, and it didn't turn out the way you expected. That seems reasonable grounds for some anxiety. You've also acknowledged the reality of the situation that you're currently living in. There is some potential risk, so doing what you can do, while accepting that you can't control everything that everyone else does, seems key here.

Katy

Thank you, Katy.

I appreciate your reply 🙂

AnxietyHopeful
Community Member

Hey Gelati, you mentioned you’ve helped a lot of people on this forum, which includes me. I’d like to try and help you out as well

It seems like you got a thought in your head where you are trying to find certainty. From reading your post, it looks like you did everything right - from using sanitizer and handing out your details - so there’s no point using your energy on “what could have been”

It also seems like this current anxiety episode is stemming from what your mind “thinks” is going to happen rather than what is actually happening

Next time you feel anxious about something, focus your energy on what you can control in the moment and focus your thoughts on the present rather than what your mind “thinks” will happen

I hope what I wrote has made sense. Always here for help

Thank you, AnxietyHopeful.

Your suggestions makes complete sense to me, and exactly what I feel I would tell someone in my situation. Thank you so much for the reminder and your compassion.

I've just had a highly stressful few weeks and every now and then - not too often, really - I have a yucky anxious day.

Today, thinking about how I felt yesterday, I can't think why I was so upset by it. Today my anxiety is probably a 2/10.

Thank you so much. Best wishes.