FAQ

Find answers to some of the more frequently asked questions on the Forums.

Forums guidelines

Our guidelines keep the Forums a safe place for people to share and learn information.

Diet soda drinker? A tip that may help with your anxiety

Katherine22
Community Member
Hi everyone, just wanted to share what I learnt recently from a Natropath. I used to drink a lot (1-2 litres) a day of Pepsi Max. I never knew the link from Aspartame that’s found in diet drinks and some foods to anxiety and mental health conditions. Apparently it blocks the production of serotonin and interferes with neurotransmitters. I wasn’t so sure about this BUT after giving up Pepsi Max my anxiety is definitely less pronounced. I’m less on edge every day and I’ve noticed a huge difference. May not be everyone but wanted to share in case it could help someone else.
2 Replies 2

Guest_342
Community Member

Hi Katherine.

Thank you for this tip! I do love soft drinks, and tend to choose sugar-free options. But good to know.

Best wishes.

MsPurple
Blue Voices Member
Blue Voices Member

HI Katherine

Glad you have found reducing diet soda to help reduce you anxiety. I am not sure if this is a proven link or not (would have to look into journal articles) however it is still good that it has helped yourself 🙂 I find having too much diet soda causes me to feel more meh, so I have tried other things such as cold tea (just a normal fruity tea bag in cold water, no added sugar) and electrolyte drinks(note am a runner, and only have on running days) help me drink more and stay hydrated compared to diet soda which I could drink a lot of but still not be hydrated. I still drink sugar free soft drinks, however I have reduced it substantially. I find moderation is key. I am glad you have gotten advice that has helped you and thanks for sharing 🙂